New discs recommendations

(RIP) python

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all. I need to do my front discs and I'm looking for recommendations, any deals going? I priced discs at bmw and I'm still in shock.

Front discs usually last a long time - my earlier 70,000 mile RT was on the originals with little signs of wear & my 30k mile LC wasn't showing wear at the time it was stolen.

Have you measured the discs to confirm the wear?

The thickness of the discs was quoted from bmw when I took the bike in for repairs. Sorry. More repairs. They said one disc was 3.9mm and the other 3.6mm

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Bike is just around 22,500 miles.

I've had more miles out of the original front brake pads than that, I can't believe you need a set of discs at that mileage. I've been in the trade for 40 years and had my own bikes with up to 60k miles on them with the original brake discs unchanged.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Front disk wear limit is 4mm, rear 4.5mm. It's stamped on the disks...

I check mine with a cheap digital caliper. Fronts are marginal now at 35K miles. All depends on your ride and where you do it.

There's 0.5mm wear between new and limit. Don't get fooled by dealers saying your disks have only 0.25mm left. That's half their life left still.

I don't know anyone with a micrometer but I might have to get one. I do ride the bike hard but I'm still stunned it's needing discs. I already replaced the rear. I ride all year rou d too so maybe winter has taken its toll?

ABE. All bike engineering do decent discs. Roughly two thirds the price of the premium brands. Might be an idea to send them pics of what you want.

Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm going to measure my disc thickness first. See if bmw are trying to pull a fast one.

I don't know anyone with a micrometer but I might have to get one. I do ride the bike hard but I'm still stunned it's needing discs. I already replaced the rear. I ride all year rou d too so maybe winter has taken its toll?

Cost me about £15 for a cheapo one from ebay. VW dealer told me front pads AND discs needed replacing on my Passat. Bit surprised, as at 50k miles I expected pads, not discs

Sure enough, discs well within tolerance, not scored/grooved etc.

Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm going to measure my disc thickness first. See if bmw are trying to pull a fast one.

Be aware that it'ss easy to get a false reading if the discs have a lip on the outer edge, especially using Vernier calipers.
I spent a few minutes listening to the car service desk at my local dealer. The girl called the customer to tell him his discs and pads were half worn and did he want them replacing-- he fell for it. Easy money for the dealers if people are so gullible.

Yeah I'm sure they will go at some point but I don't think they need done just yet. I'll get a micrometer and check for myself.

Looking at galfer discs. Any good.?they don't come with bobbins tho, do the original discs have re usable bobbins.

Back
Top Bottom