Ferry to Orkney

philbuck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to Orkney in June this year. Currently the plan is to sail from Scrabster, but Gills Bay has not been ruled out!

My question is, would you book whichever ferry we go over (and back) on, or just rock up at the port and try to buy a ticket there and then?

Anyone any experience, (good or bad) of booking with these two companies?

(My only experience is usuing Skye/Mull ferries, and we always got lucky........just !!)

Cheers

Phil

I’ve used both but have always booked ahead largely because we had a plan, so could do so.

I’m not sure it would be absolutely necessary to do so though.

Given that they are only half an hour from each other, you’d always have a fall back option.

I'd use Gills Bay every time ... you can ride up from St Margarets Hope then over the Churchill Barriers :thumb2

I usually make my way north in the VW Camper and then book my crossing the day before I want to sail ... never been a problem.
If you're on a 'bike I can't see a problem with just turning up ... they'll fit you in/on

I love Orkney :thumb

Enjoy :thumby:

:beerjug:

As Mick says....Gills Bay every time. Go and have lunch at the Castle of Mey.....the large bearded guide will have his GS parked nearby....

Not sure about booking, used to be no problem but if they have gone the same way as Calmac, not now so relaxed...

I'd use Gills Bay every time ... you can ride up from St Margarets Hope then over the Churchill Barriers :thumb2

I usually make my way north in the VW Camper and then book my crossing the day before I want to sail ... never been a problem.
If you're on a 'bike I can't see a problem with just turning up ... they'll fit you in/on

This exactly. :thumb2
I took my motorhome over in October last year. Booked the previous day. Easy job.

Is the big new replacement ferry running now on the Gills bay route ?

When did this new ferry start running?

My dogs are looking forward to catching up with your dog....

Your pitch is snow bound again today.

Hope to go to Keswick for two or three night early March. Are you listening Barney (Neil23) and Kev (Norm) :D
If weather fine I shall head north Scottish Borders, Strontian, Loch Ness, Portsoy and so hope to call in Gerard :thumb

If you choose Scrabster-Stromness crossing, you get to see the magnificent Old Man of Hoy :thumb

Attachments

• P1000798.jpg
    P1000798.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 189
I’ve done both routes numerous times, worth bearing in mind you can if you like get a cabin on the stromness scrabster ferry the night before the morning sailing.

This 100%

take yer time, smell the flowers its a lovely place.

..... take yer time, smell the flowers its a lovely place.

Hey, that's my saying :D

:thumb

i-b9Z9MtC-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom