Wiring auxiliary lights

Steve in Kent

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am just about to add some spot lights, (already purchased), to my 2001 R1150GS

I want the near side to be on with low beam, and both the near side and off side to be on with high beam, so do not want to use the switch that came with the lights.

As the bike is already set up this way for it's headlights, am I right in assuming that I can take feeds from the wires going from the handlebar switch to the headlamps and take that to the specific relay for each spot lamp?

I've searched the internet, but can't find anything useful.

I am going to make a loom up so I can put the two relays in the current fuse box under the seat, with a positive feed direct from the battery.

Or is there a better way?

Yes you can wire it that way but there's enough room to fit the relays behind the instrument screen and run a fused feed from the battery (you can earth to a point on the headstock) also while you're at it use the same relays to trigger your main and dip, it'll make them brighter due to less voltage loss through the standard wiring. :)

Hmm... someone will know more I am sure, but i doubt this will be legal.

They will need to be seperately switched, and used as a pair...

10. Electrical connections –
(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the light emitted therefrom–
(i) can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam, or
(ii) can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either –
(A) causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or
(B) causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam.
(b) Where a matched pair of main-beam headlamps is fitted they shall be capable of being switched on and off simultaneously and not otherwise.

I think my setup meets that criteria, (I say that because I'm just copying what the bike does now).

You're right although it's a bit of a technicality it's also a bit pointless imo, just run both lights to come on with dip......particularly on the 1150 due to its strong dip cut off on the offside plunging you into darkness on right handers :thumb

I use the classic set up of 3 HIDs for dip and 3 Halogens on main, all through relays.

Attachments

• 20200212_164546-01.jpg
    20200212_164546-01.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 515
You're right although it's a bit of a technicality it's also a bit pointless imo, just run both lights to come on with dip......particularly on the 1150 due to its strong dip cut off on the offside plunging you into darkness on right handers :thumb

I use the classic set up of 3 HIDs for dip and 3 Halogens on main, all through relays.

How did you wire them to the dip circuit?

Aux lights PDF

I have a very good PDF guide for fitting auxiliary lights to the 1150; if anyone would like a copy please pm an email address as it's too big to host on here.

Heavy duty cable (at least 2.5 sq. mm) with a 15A in-line fuse to the relays.

Always overlooked but while running a new feed direct run an earth as well, a lot better than the frame earth and you will notice the extra brightness of the extra volt or two at the lights. You've only got twelve volts to start with so any savings will benefit.

Sorry, missed that.

Excellent thanks, I'll go for four spots, 2 on dip, 2 on main.

Run them off an autoswitch and a relay off dip and main and they'll automatically flip between the two lights and you'll have an on/off switch using the indicator cancel switch so no extra gubbins cluttering up the handlebars

Always overlooked but while running a new feed direct run an earth as well, a lot better than the frame earth and you will notice the extra brightness of the extra volt or two at the lights. You've only got twelve volts to start with so any savings will benefit.

Excellent idea, might as well since I'll have the tank off to run the +ve to the relays.

Run them off an autoswitch and a relay off dip and main and they'll automatically flip between the two lights and you'll have an on/off switch using the indicator cancel switch so no extra gubbins cluttering up the handlebars

I don't understand this, I was going to use the feeds from the handlebar to the dip and main lights to go to the two relays.

What is an autoswitch, and how does using the indicator cancel to use as an on/off switch happen?

All sounds interesting though.

Autoswitch is a hidden switch that uses the indicator cancel when held down (3 secs) to activate whatever is connected to it; Nippy Normans and others sell them.

Would these be OK to mount the relays to?

Attachments

• Relay mount.jpg
    Relay mount.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 243
Removing the ABS gives you a big hole where you can mount relays and you get the added bonus of no ABS issues :D

Back
Top Bottom