Wiring auxiliary lights

I've now decided to use 4 lamps, new fused +ve/-ve from the battery run in some cable protector.

Relays mounted behind the instrument screen and new earth wiring from relays and lamps, all in cable protector, (is double sided sticky foam OK to fix the relays?).

Still trying to work out the best way to tap into the white signal wire running from the handlebar switch to the current dip/main lamps.

Best way to 'tap in' is to use piggyback connectors (available from Halfords) on the appropriate wires at the back of the lamp holder.

Best way to 'tap in' is to use piggyback connectors (available from Halfords) on the appropriate wires at the back of the lamp holder.

The back of the lamp holder has got a special plug that fits into the back of the lamp so I can't use those.

Attachments

• Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 160
Have you a soldering iron ? If so, cut back the insulation, tin the exposed wires then solder a trigger wire in place and wrap the joint with self amalgamating tape.

Have you a soldering iron ? If so, cut back the insulation, tin the exposed wires then solder a trigger wire in place and wrap the joint with self amalgamating tape.

That's what I thought of doing, as I can't think of a better way, although I thought about cutting the white wire so I could use heat shrink.

Am i the only one who doesn,t understand any of this thread? I was thinking about fitting some aux lights but changed my mind now.

Am i the only one who doesn,t understand any of this thread? I was thinking about fitting some aux lights but changed my mind now.

It's easy if you use the wiring loom that comes with some of the lamps, but I want to wire them into the main dip/main switch on the bars.

I'm now taking my time over this as I do not want to use the bike for pleasure, just shopping if need be.

So I've added both a fused live and earth wires to the battery.
Wired up both mini 4 pin 12V relays with tails.
Cut back the insulation from both dip and main switch wires, soldered wire tails that go to the relays.
Mounted the light bar to the bike, (home made with aluminium tube covered with black adhesive heat shrink.

Now just got to assemble the spots to the bar and wire them to the relay and new earth wire.

All wiring is, (or will be), covered with protective cable sleeve.

Slowly getting there.

Wiring is now complete, just got to tidy it all up and put it in the cable protector.

Attachments

• Dips 01.jpg
    Dips 01.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Mains 01.jpg
    Mains 01.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 119
I love your Fatty Balls.....:rob

It's costs a fortune every month, too many bird feeders, and add to that sunflower seeds, the expensive ones without the shell. Still less than I spend on the bike though.

Wiring now tidied up as well as I can get it....

Attachments

• Wiring 1.jpg
    Wiring 1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Wiring 4.jpg
    Wiring 4.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 88

Back
Top Bottom