Cheap Lion Charger

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I've just ordered myself a small capacity Lion bike battery but looking at the chargers available they all seem to be posh 'intelligent' chargers and are some 25% more expensive than I've paid for the battery.......

Is there such a thing as a cheap, no frills charger suitable for a small 1.6Ah Lion bike battery?

Andres

(in fact I think I've got two optimates in the shed ... happy to bung you one in a jiffy bag !!)

Thanks Giles but Lion batteries need special chargers. I've several Optimates but, like the link you posted, they aren't suitable for Lion's :thumb2

Cheap is, I guess, half the price of the battery which was only £32 and most Lion chargers out there are around the £50 + mark

Andres

Thanks Giles but Lion batteries need special chargers. I've several Optimates but, like the link you posted, they aren't suitable for Lion's :thumb2

Cheap is, I guess, half the price of the battery which was only £32 and most Lion chargers out there are around the £50 + mark

Andres

Why do they need special chargers?

Your bike uses the same charging circuit for Lion and lead acid batteries.

Get a bog standard cheap & cheerful charger with no 'intelligent' functions and it'll be fine.

As above - believe you can use any charger so long as it does not go into a de-sulphate mode;)

A cheap battery charger? I’m sure you have a few lying around the house. You know those cheap little transformers that plug into a 3 pin socket? They power everything from toys to bits and bobs that plug into computers. I used one to charge up a tractor battery overnight a bloody big momma of a thing. Half of the supply 24 volt. I just changed one but the tractor started in the morning. The little transformer was VERY hot. JJH

Why do they need special chargers?

Your bike uses the same charging circuit for Lion and lead acid batteries.

Get a bog standard cheap & cheerful charger with no 'intelligent' functions and it'll be fine.

Li-ion batteries require far more careful control when being charged than lead acid batteries - to avoid damage and/or fire. If your particular battery has built in protection against incorrect charging then fine, if not then there could be trouble ahead - check the battery manufactures recommendations.

This is good info.

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index.php?main_page=page&id=18&chapter=1

Andres, I just bought an optimate duo for my new arrival which has a LIon battery that’s coming in March . They are £34 retail . It will charge either type of battery hence the Duo name. :thumb

Andres, I just bought an optimate duo for my new arrival which has a LIon battery that’s coming in March . They are £34 retail . It will charge either type of battery hence the Duo name. :thumb

..........that's still more than I paid for the battery ;)

Ta though :beerjug:

Andres

Aldi chargers

Aldi's are selling battery chargers this week 6-12 v I think about £12-95.
I was just going to go and have a look and maybe buy one. my optimate 4 melted yesterday. has anybody had experiences of Aldi or Lidl chargers?

Li-ion batteries require far more careful control when being charged than lead acid batteries - to avoid damage and/or fire. If your particular battery has built in protection against incorrect charging then fine, if not then there could be trouble ahead - check the battery manufactures recommendations.

This is good info.

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index.php?main_page=page&id=18&chapter=1

The 'Lion battery' that you put in your vehicle is not just a big Lion cell, or series of cells.
Lion cells need to be charged in parallel under current and voltage control, then discharged in series.
The 'Lion battery' that you fit in your vehicle has a considerable amount of circuitry built in which handles the charging.

The charging circuit in your vehicle doesn't know (or care) if you have fitted a Lion battery, yet manages to charge it just fine.

I thought you would have known that.

Attachments

• What_you_need_to_know_3.jpg
    What_you_need_to_know_3.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 164
I've just ordered myself a small capacity Lion bike battery but looking at the chargers available they all seem to be posh 'intelligent' chargers and are some 25% more expensive than I've paid for the battery.......

Is there such a thing as a cheap, no frills charger suitable for a small 1.6Ah Lion bike battery?

Andres

The blurb though doesn't fill me with confidence

Intelligent compatibility, suitable for most market brands, suitable for Harley cars,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

.......and as you read on it doesn't get any better :D

Andres

Make yer mind up! Cheap or quality? :D

He’s from Nottingham and is half Spanish ... give the boy a chance ...

The 'Lion battery' that you put in your vehicle is not just a big Lion cell, or series of cells.
Lion cells need to be charged in parallel under current and voltage control, then discharged in series.
The 'Lion battery' that you fit in your vehicle has a considerable amount of circuitry built in which handles the charging.

The charging circuit in your vehicle doesn't know (or care) if you have fitted a Lion battery, yet manages to charge it just fine.

I thought you would have known that.

See the link and you will see that I do know - but who knows what corners have been cut in producing some cheap batteries from ‘less well known’ manufacturers? Best to be safe :)

Back
Top Bottom