France: lesser known bits

As promised here is a two day (so not a week's worth) route I use to run motorbikes in. It brings in a fairly interesting mix roads for the north east corner of France. The hotel is basic but OK, if you do not want anything flash or any buzzing nightlife. The restaurant is good. The route has no motorways, if that is really important to you.

If you do ride it and decide to stay at the same hotel, my suggestion is to fill up with fuel in the town before you get to the hotel, it's about a couple of miles before. Why? From memory, there is not a lot of fuel the next day for quite some distance. But hey, don't worry, I have ridden both days of the route on an HP2 Sport, which does not have a huge tank and is (supposedly) not suitable to go on jaunts on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn2k18p6nyzet2o/nutty bike run-in - picardie - two days.gpx?dl=0

Thanks for that.Tried downloading it to my dropbox but only coming up in writing and not sure why.I will try and figure it out thanks

Thanks for that.Tried downloading it to my dropbox but only coming up in writing and not sure why.I will try and figure it out thanks

Have you tried opening the file in Garmin’s BasCamp or Mapsource software?

What I think is happening is that your computer is reading the file as a ‘text’ file. Try saving it to your desktop, then changing the file name to something that ends with .gpx For example, call it:

wapping ride.gpx

Does that work?

Have you tried opening the file in Garmin’s BasCamp or Mapsource software?

What I think is happening is that your computer is reading the file as a ‘text’ file. Try saving it to your desktop, then changing the file name to something that ends with .gpx For example, call it:

wapping ride.gpx

Does that work?

Done it onto basecamp thanks pal.

You can see the route displayed OK?

Yes,Thanks.Wish i lived closer to the chunnel but the ride down to there from Rotterdam is ok for a weeks trip.

Yup, we are lucky.

Depending where you plan on staying in Picardy, I do have some other options. As I said, it’s a big area. My suggestion would be to arm yourself with the Michelin ‘Green Guides’ to the regions. Picardy, as it is so large, probably embraces a couple of books. They are very good, designed for requests such as yours, listing (along with good descriptions) things to see and do, along with routes to ride to join them all up. If WW1 is your thing, then you are in one of the key areas of British / Empire engagements, particularly when you get across to Peronne, with its very good museum. You also have the oddities such as, the Chinese cemetery at Nampont and, if you like that sort of thing, the steam train around the Baie du Somme.

Here’s what Michelin offers on-line, too: https://travelguide.michelin.com/europe/france/picardie

In it, Michelin lists 140 ‘attractions’ so there will be something for everyone. Use the Kurviger app to join them up, perhaps? Job done, enjoy your holiday.

Yup, we are lucky.

Depending where you plan on staying in Picardy, I do have some other options. As I said, it’s a big area. My suggestion would be to arm yourself with the Michelin ‘Green Guides’ to the regions. Picardy, as it is so large, probably embraces a couple of books. They are very good, designed for requests such as yours, listing (along with good descriptions) things to see and do, along with routes to ride to join them all up. If WW1 is your thing, then you are in one of the big areas, particularly when you get across to Peronne, with its very good museum. You also have the oddities such as, the Chinese cemetery at Nampont and, if you like that sort of thing, the steam train around the Baie du Somme.

Here’s what Michelin offers on-line, too: https://travelguide.michelin.com/europe/france/picardie

In it Michelin lists 140 ‘attractions’ so there will be something for everyone. Use the Kurviger app to join them up, perhaps? Job done, enjoy your holiday.

Thanks,Was just looking at that hotel you mentioned.Like to visit the war memorial stuff other than that i just ride to where the mrs wants to go :D

places to stay in Picardie:
St Quentin - Hotel Florence, close to centre, off street parking, fairly cheap
Laon - historic centre on top of a hill, not stayed in the centre but it looks lovely
Etraupont (north of Vervins on Wapping's map) - Logis hotel Clos du montvinage - quiet village, super restaurant, close to Ardennes & L'Avensois national parks

Some of the coastal towns are nice but I would avoid them in July & August as they get a bit crowded in the summer. The French still hang on to the tradition of abandoning urban areas for the coast and other tourist areas in August so bear this in mind and prebook hotels if you want to be specific about where you stay.

Cheers pal

Thanks,Was just looking at that hotel you mentioned.Like to visit the war memorial stuff other than that i just ride to where the mrs wants to go :D

The hotel is nothing special per-se. Its location just suits me as being in the right place. I have also used it to take bods away on Wanders, simply as it has enough rooms and a decent sized car park. The car park is unsecured, if that bothers you greatly? Me, I think you’d be unlucky (or have skimped on the pound of butter in the fridge) to have your bike tampered with or worse, as there would be easier pickings.... take a chain / lock. But take one of those anyway..... and use it.

The hotel is nothing special per-se. Its location just suits me as being in the right place. I have also used it to take bods away on Wanders, simply as it has enough rooms and a decent sized car park. The car park is unsecured, if that bothers you greatly? Me, I think you’d be unlucky (or have skimped on the pound of butter in the fridge) to have your bike tampered with or worse, as there would be easier pickings.... take a chain / lock. But take one of those anyway..... and use it.

Decided on Wessies recommendation of Logis hotel Clos du montvinage - quiet village, super restaurant, close to Ardennes & L'Avensois national parks.That's if the corona virus doesn't start to affect travel.

Decided on Wessies recommendation of Logis hotel Clos du montvinage - quiet village, super restaurant, close to Ardennes & L'Avensois national parks.

Good choice. Let us know what you make of it, please...... and don't breathe in, it will render you immune.

Good choice. Let us know what you make of it, please...... and don't breathe in, it will render you immune.

Will do pal..And i will remember not to breath in :D

Decided on Wessies recommendation of Logis hotel Clos du montvinage - quiet village, super restaurant, close to Ardennes & L'Avensois national parks.That's if the corona virus doesn't start to affect travel.

Enjoy. I hope Madame has not retired as she is quite a character as Maitre d' in the restaurant. Go for the half board option, which you can book on arrival. It is very good value with plenty of choices in each course.

Enjoy. I hope Madame has not retired as she is quite a character as Maitre d' in the restaurant. Go for the half board option, which you can book on arrival. It is very good value with plenty of choices in each course.

Thanks pal

Back
Top Bottom