External storage formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

polecat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an external storage drive in NFTS format that I use with my Windows laptop for work. I would like to use the storage device with my iPad but the IOS system will only recognise exFAT.

Still with me ? :D

I can reformat the storage drive in to exFAT format but it will wipe the storage drive to do so. No problem as I can transfer the info stored on to my laptop.

The question I have is if I change the format to exFAT to use with the ipad will I still be able to use it with the laptop without losing any information?

Yes and no

I'm the other way, i run a mac and bootcamp - so predominatly run under a windows environment.

I have an external drive fromatted for mac -

if i want to read it in windows, i can use HFSE Explorer to read the drive.

there are other programms available

Majorgeeks.com will have loads of programs that work on crosss platform drives should you so need one

I have an external storage drive in NFTS format that I use with my Windows laptop for work. I would like to use the storage device with my iPad but the IOS system will only recognise exFAT.

Still with me ? :D

I can reformat the storage drive in to exFAT format but it will wipe the storage drive to do so. No problem as I can transfer the info stored on to my laptop.

The question I have is if I change the format to exFAT to use with the ipad will I still be able to use it with the laptop without losing any information?

quick question, how will you connect ext storage to iPad? If going via third party wi fi /cloud service, why not download only what you need for each computer/device?

as a mac user can't you share the stuff via an airdrop / blue tooth kinda thing..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom