LC 1200/1250GSA to 1200/1250R: Any experiences

Bazzie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm considering changing my R1200GSA for a 1250R, and would appreciate any (relevant) feedback from any UKGSer's who may have knowledge of the pro's & cons - particularly from a riding and comfort perspective. Thanks!

I downsized (physically) from a lowered 1200GS to a 1200R about 3 years years ago as I thought the smaller and slightly lighter bike might be a better for for me. The R is less comfortable (tighter seat/peg position in particular) and has no wind or weather protection whatsoever, which I never really managed to address despite fitting several different screens. The smaller tank also means a lesser range as well. From a riding point of view both are lovely bikes and I did prefer the front-end feel from the R's conventional forks but not enough to outweigh the other issues. I now have a lowered 1250GS which is a brilliant bike. I'd say if you want a bike for longer distances and touring the GS is better, if you want a bike for commuting or day rides the R is fine but still not as capable as the GS. At the end of the day though you need to make your own decision as like most things biking it is a very personal one.

I tried a similar change some years ago...
Changed from a 1200RT to a 1200R (Classic). These were both air/oil cooled, pre LC bikes. The 1200R was great for short (half day) rides in the Peak and similar, but absolutely hopeless on longer rides or tours. I rode it down to the South of Spain with the mrs on the back. We both grew to hate it. Uncomfortable after a few hours, lots of wind noise, poor at carrying luggage, etc. She got the train home and my hate for the bike doubled with every mile!
Sold it asap and went to a GSA... and never looked back!

THE 1200R was easier to move around the garage, and looked nice I suppose.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Have you thought about a R1250RS? Apologies for veering I know it’s not what you asked about. I changed from a GSA about 6 months ago to a 1250RS and it’s a good halfway house between nippy bike and mega tourer. Worth a thought as it’s less of a leap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will get absolutely covered in road shit on an R*. I know, I just bought one to keep the GS company. I went out on the R for the first time yesterday and it and me came back minging. Good fun though.

* This is despite fitting an AUS/NZ rear mudguard, mudsling and fender extender. I don't know what goes on at the back of the bike, but the top surface of the pillion seat looks like it has had rivers of shit flowing over it from behind!

I had a GS lc for a couple of years and my ex still has a 1200r. of which I've ridden a few times....oooh err missus. I think the R is a more fun bike to ride, much lower and seems faster, though that may be due to a difference in weight. Would I swap out a GS for the R if I still had my GS, nope. Comfort on the GS is a different level to the R but I'd still say the R is a funky Sunday bike with the GS being a do everything one.

She absolutely loves her R, had it all round Europe a few times, with the low seat if suits her perfect.

As above it depends what you want from your bike. If you're not bothered about the comfort, weather protection and visibility the GSA offers then the R could be for you if you want something more involving to ride. Either way which ever you choose there will be elements of 1 that will be better than the other and vice versa, it's just a question of where your priorities lie. As you're close why not get a test ride at Cotswold? Personally I'm about to get my 3rd LC GS and each time I've tried other options Like the Triumph Tiger 800, 1200 Explorer, 1200RS, Z1000SX, R1200R R9T and this time round the R1250RS the ride home after these test rides each time has always resulted in me wanting another GS

Last edited:
I have also changed from GS to RS. I've not yet had chance to do a long trip on the RS, but I do much prefer the feel of riding it compared to the GS. It seems a more involving ride somehow, and I feel more integrated into the bike rather than the feeling of being perched on a camel that the GS tended to give me, and that was the low chassis version! The RS feels like it will be a good compromise between sport and touring styles, and having fitted a taller screen and up and back risers it also seems promising regarding comfort.

Back
Top Bottom