BaseCamp - Update Basecamp version 4.8.8 for Mac update - route shaping tool problem

Wapping

Reaction score
Since the 4.8.8 update to mend BaseCamp for Mac, I cannot get the route shaping tool to work at all.

To create routes, I ask BaseCamp to give me A to B, which it used to do perfectly well (and still does) according to my preference settings. I then use the route shaping tool to shape the route, ensuring that it then takes the roads I want to take, not those created by the software. In short, the route shaping tool no longer functions.

I did receive a strange pop-up box, asking me if I wanted to change the route, which is something I cannot ever recall seeing before. So, I said, yes. All I get now is a strange square box outline, rather like the box you see when you use the magnifying glass tool to zoom into an area.

Put it another way, the 'Drag the route' tool, seems to be fecked.

Hi

Doesn't selecting the hand icon and the holding the option key allow you to change the route?

Update....

I have found that if I exit BaseCamp completely, then reopen it, I can use the shaping tool on a new route, all be it unreliably. If I then select an old route and then come back into the new route, there is a significant delay before the route shaping tool functions. Then sometimes it will work and at other times not.

From what was a very reliable tool, it does seem to have become unstable and responds unreliably.

Hi

Doesn't selecting the hand icon and the holding the option key allow you to change the route?

Hi,

That's the interesting thing.

If I highlight the route, I can drag it with seemingly absolute reliability without holding the option key. The annoying thing about this is that it might lead you into dragging a route by accident, if all you wanted to do was drag the map about.

Hey Wapping. The more I read about Basecamp, the happier I am that I haven’t updated it since 2018 (also for Mac). I am still in 2018.3 maps. Seems to be quite a few issues lately. It’s a powerful piece of software but seems to be getting problematic. Been using it this very morning planning some routes ok with the shaping tool. Not very helpful for you I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard

Have tried to recreate your problem:

Create an A to B route.

Then grad it to follow selected roads off the direct A to B.

All works okay for me. No issues

So sorry that I cannot help you

It is odd, I must say.

It definitely seems most stable using the hand / option key method, something I have never really used, always preferring the arrow sharped 'route shaping' button. Hey-ho, I'm not too old to change.

Probably I have never really been using BaseCamp properly as the arrow is meant to be more of a 'What is this route' / 'What is this' tool, I guess.

I don’t think I’ve ever had to use the option key with the arrow to move a route to a shaping point. As you say, it can sometimes lead to moving a route by accident but I’ve learned to deal with that.

I don’t always use the option key to move an existing shaping point either.

I don’t think I’ve ever had to use the option key with the arrow to move a route to a shaping point. As you say, it can sometimes lead to moving a route by accident but I’ve learned to deal with that.

I don’t always use the option key to move an existing shaping point either.

I think you are right.... I have been doing it 'wrong' (quite happily) by using the arrow for years.

Back
Top Bottom