Los Caminos de Santiago en moto- A work in progress

One other piece of advice, particularly for those of us finding themselves on any of the Camino Trails, but not as a 'pilgrim':

The small hotels, hostels, cafes along the Camino cater for the pilgrims by offering a cheap pilgrims menu that includes 2 or 3 courses and some wine. Be warned, you may well want to make sure that you ask for the normal menu, not the Pilgrim's menu. The food on the pilgrims menu can be very basic, to say the least!!!

No Camino en Moto for us but on the 29th of this month we’ll fly to Gibraltar. We have a nights accommodation booked in La Linea and then in the first we will set off walking.
The plan is to first walk the Via Serrana to Seville where we start the Via de la Plata which will lead to the Camino Sanabres.
All being well around 60 days later we will arrive in Santiago.
If that works we may walk on to Cap Finistere.

Around 1350km in all.......

Great aim - well done. My knees go weak at the thought of just 1350m.......

Good, just booked a couple of nights there in this hotel https://www.miradordebelvis.es/ which seems to be a rare thing i.e. a central hotel with its own parking. I looked at the Parador but a stupid rate for my dates.

Our hotel was just inside the old city perimeter off the main road, so it was dead easy to get to, however I had to park the bike on the other side of the main road so you are luck to have parking. Good luck with getting to it as the old city streets are narrow, busy with people and some are cobbled. Due to the narrowness of the streets you might find the satnav signal is a bit iffy, if it was me I would use one the days to walk the exit route to avoid any issues when you do leave, and of course it will give you a good look around the city. I still have my gpx routes if you want them.

Our hotel was just inside the old city perimeter off the main road, so it was dead easy to get to, however I had to park the bike on the other side of the main road so you are luck to have parking. Good luck with getting to it as the old city streets are narrow, busy with people and some are cobbled. Due to the narrowness of the streets you might find the satnav signal is a bit iffy, if it was me I would use one the days to walk the exit route to avoid any issues when you do leave, and of course it will give you a good look around the city. I still have my gpx routes if you want them.

Walk?

Have you not heard of Google Streetview? I rarely book a hotel in advance (unless Germanic) without being able to see the access on Streetview. This hotel is just outside the old city wall so is easy to get to - you can see the old city wall on the left and the narrow street on the right gives access to the rear of the hotel https://goo.gl/maps/DDFvJUCr9dc9fHBo8 where you drive through a passage to the entrance to their underground car park https://goo.gl/maps/uDaca3dFtePQDeZN8

As you can see the one way exit is a little more involved

All this from the comfort of my sofa

I've walked from Porto to Santiago, too a week and was brilliant. myself and a mate, mid sized backpacks. Good crack.

And anyone from these parts who wants to do it can get a camino "passport" into which you can get stamps in all the places you visit. If you show this at the end, you get a cert. The interesting thing is that you can get these passports only in camino churches, and the nearest one to here is ....... on James st in Dublin, right beside the brewery! You can get your first stamp there. (the church, not the brewery!).

Heading back that way on a serow on the ferry on Friday..

I walked the ‘Frances’, the French way from just inside France, up over the Pyrenees and across from Pamplona west. There are other caminos, El Norte is said to be tougher.

You’ll make friends on the first day (I met someone flying over!) and walk with them the whole way. Some join you, some drop off but it’s a hugely friendly thing. Thirty days or so. Bloody brilliant.

Seems like a lot of us are doing the walking tour. My plan is to do the 'Primitiva', which is apparently the original route, from Oviedo at least as far as Lugo or Santiago if the going is good. Getting there and back by train (I've got my Targeta Dorada, or pensioner's rail pass!). The Cicerone guides are essential for walking and handy for a bike tour and they also have details of getting the 'passport', which you need to have to stay at the pilgrims accommodation. I had thought that each guide included a passport but mine didn't, maybe I got a cheap deal ...

Having said all that with the current crisis I'm now a bit concerned about sleeping in hostel accommodation, sharing rooms with people from all over the place as I'm a bit of a 'high risk' case. Any thoughts on that score, maybe there won't be so many pilgrims this year?

Regs

Simon

The route I’m currently walking is only a few years old and as yet I have not met another soul walking. The Via Serrana starts in La Linea and goes to Seville. Luckily there is a fuse on line as the yellow arrows have been few and far between for the last couple of days.
From Seville I hope to take the Via de la Plata north until the Via Sanabres that goes to Santiago de Compostela. Another 100km from there is Cap Finistere, my ultimate goal for this trip.
Fingers crossed that my feet hold out along with everything else. It’ll be 800 miles ish in total.
As for staying in shared accommodation/current situation I’m not sure either. Until Seville there isn’t any of that accommodation anyway so no worries yet.

Last night in a restaurant here on Ronda the waiter said that the tourist numbers a down massively as the South Koreans and Chinese aren’t coming at the moment. So yes, I’d say Camino numbers will be down greatly this year.

The route I’m currently walking is only a few years old and as yet I have not met another soul walking. The Via Serrana starts in La Linea and goes to Seville. Luckily there is a fuse on line as the yellow arrows have been few and far between for the last couple of days.
From Seville I hope to take the Via de la Plata north until the Via Sanabres that goes to Santiago de Compostela. Another 100km from there is Cap Finistere, my ultimate goal for this trip.
Fingers crossed that my feet hold out along with everything else. It’ll be 800 miles ish in total.
As for staying in shared accommodation/current situation I’m not sure either. Until Seville there isn’t any of that accommodation anyway so no worries yet.

Last night in a restaurant here on Ronda the waiter said that the tourist numbers a down massively as the South Koreans and Chinese aren’t coming at the moment. So yes, I’d say Camino numbers will be down greatly this year.

Yup, big hits on the tourism sector here in Spain. Barcelona is big news here after the Mobile World was cancelled and now the Food fair in April - maybe I'll all on my lonesome!

Thank you for that.

It would be great if, at the end, you could do a simple summary for UKGSer. Things that went well, things to avoid, any other bits worth noting.

The main to to avoid would be starting in the first place......hahaha.
OK, I’ll try and do as you ask. It’ll be in 50+ days time all being well.

Packing light is an obvious must. I haven’t actually weighed my rucksack but with 2 litres of water I’d reckon on 10 or 11 kg.
Don’t try and walk to far to soon. Build up. That worked for me on my first Camino, the French Route from Sant Jean Pied de Port 500 miles to Santiago.
Wash your walking clothes everyday. I have eleven items of clothing in total, including my rain jacket.
Start early, finish early. Time for washing and drying in the afternoon.

Oh yeah, enjoy it.....

Good tips, thank you. The clothes washing bit could apply equally well to blokes on motorbikes, camping. Cut down on the kit carried.

Enjoy the next 50 days!

Good tips, thank you. The clothes washing bit could apply equally well to blokes on motorbikes, camping. Cut down on the kit carried.

Enjoy the next 50 days!

Walking the Camino would help motorcyclists more

We’d be fitter

Some tips from my Camino.
Take a hat and very light rainproof top, like a kagoule.
Toughen your feet before you go.
Take good broken in footwear. For me in summer that was two pairs of Bridgedale socks, Merrell non-Goretex vented hiking shoes.
Compeed blister care and foot powder.
Tons of music and podcasts on your phone.
Start early, finish early. Then shower, wash your kit, take care of your feet, siesta.
Take shades.
Your full pack should be no more than 10% of your body weight. Osprey packs are exceptional.
Stay in peregrino hostels but check for bedbugs. We didn’t come across them.
Peregrino menus are fine; filling, four course and come with water, beer or a bottle of vino. You’ll save a bomb.
DON’T pre-book your accommodation. Stay flexible.

Some tips from my Camino.
Take a hat and very light rainproof top, like a kagoule.
Toughen your feet before you go.
Take good broken in footwear. For me in summer that was two pairs of Bridgedale socks, Merrell non-Goretex vented hiking shoes.
Compeed blister care and foot powder.
Tons of music and podcasts on your phone.
Start early, finish early. Then shower, wash your kit, take care of your feet, siesta.
Take shades.
Your full pack should be no more than 10% of your body weight. Osprey packs are exceptional.
Stay in peregrino hostels but check for bedbugs. We didn’t come across them.
Peregrino menus are fine; filling, four course and come with water, beer or a bottle of vino. You’ll save a bomb.
DON’T pre-book your accommodation. Stay flexible.

How do you toughen your feet? is it a case of walking round barefoot for a hour a day?

I would also recommend getting a proper fitting done for your walking boots/shoes. Don’t buy what looks nice, but what fits your feet the best. Decent retailers will custom fit the footwear during the purchase process. Get the socks sorted at the same time. Two or three pairs needed. Two for me.

For Camino walking a sleeping bag and liner is a good idea as of using Albergues they don’t often offer bedding.
Many will offer paper sheets and pillow cases.

Another tip would be to take a lightweight footwear alternative for when not walking/resting your feet. Flip flops/crocs etc. Plastic is good for use in communal showers.

As gbags said, Osprey rucksacks seem to be excellent. Again, there are different sizes so get fitted at purchase time. Using the hip belt is almost essential as it takes the weight from your shoulders. You carry the weight lower and everything is much more comfortable. I also had an Osprey water bladder that was an excellent fit in the bag. A waterproof cover for the rack sack is a must.
A travel towel is a must if using Albergues and bunk house type accommodation.

I also carry some wipes, hand sanitizer, a small medical kit. Spare laces. A hat. My wash bag has small toothpaste, shave gel etc and a sink plug for when there isn’t one (very useful for when washing clothes)
Cable ties are useful in case of broken something.
Obviously a plug and lead for changing the phone.

I also use dry bags for my clothes, sleeping bag etc. Not only do they keep the water out they act as compression bags too. I had three of these. Sleeping bag and liner in one, clothes in the second and other assorted stuff in the third.

As clothes need washing everyday I would avoid cotton T-shirt’s and the like. I’m a Rohan clothes fan. Lightweight, quick drying, hard wearing. Marino wool stuff is good too.

I prefer to walk in shorts, even in the rain. More comfortable and don’t stick to you when wet.
Trousers for the evenings though.

As has been said, start early finish early. Give yourself time for washing, showering, eating and resting.
There are plenty of guides available both printed and online. Very useful and you can choose what suits you, guides just about the walk and much more in depth guides of what’s along the way.
Michelin do a little green map book for The French Route which shows distances, elevation changes and services along the way. Accommodation and food etc. I liked that one.

Navigation is by guide, the yellow arrows that are painted ogling the routes plus other Camino signs. The Shell is the thing to look for. Sometimes on tiles, plaques, sometimes on walls but also on the ground.
A 1km wring turn is a bugger on foot, believe me, as it’s a km back again. Try not to follow other people in a sheep like state.

That’s about it for now. I have enjoyed the Camino walks that I have done and am very disappointed to have had to stop my latest walk.

Sept/Oct 2017:- French Route 32 days including 1 rest day.
April 2018:- Portuguese route from Porto, 12 days.
March 2020:- Via Serrana. Abandoned with 16km and 1 day to the end in Seville.

The Via de la Plata would have followed on from the Serrana. I’ll have to go back again...when times are different.

Buen Camino.

Thank you, OnHellas. Really useful tips.

A shame your latest ‘Camino’ was brought to a halt, but at least it was not due to injury.

Back
Top Bottom