Los Caminos de Santiago en moto- A work in progress

Wapping

Reaction score
Most motorclists visiting the western end of the Pyreneees and certainly much of the north Spanish coast will, at some point or other, probably come across the long 'pilgrims trail' that ends at the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. Much of it follows dusty pilgrims' trails, marked by scallop shell signs, inaccessible other than by dirt bike.

Leaving aside any religious background, the route is interesting enough for the places it passes through and the things there are to see along the way. Yes, some of them are cathederals, shrines and churches but hey, they don't do any great harm and they are not entirely bad to look at.

The Spanish tourist association ANYA have published a 'motorcyclists' version of the route. In fact there are several versions, all ending up in Santiago de Compostela but be that as it may I thought I would have a go at cutting the paper map into BaseCamp. Along the way I can use the time to Google up the paces it passes through, which in itself will be interesting enough, I guess. When finished, I will post the route(s) up in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago

Rutas-Camino-de-Santiago-Marly-Camino.png

51MCeh8Z-wL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2nr03MSl7-s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and a bit of proof that you can 'do it' (as they say) on anything....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k1AIOfSeolQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and you can always walk it instead....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5ZArF-w5T7E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Been along the north coast to Santiago de Compostela, with a detour around the Picos on the way, then went south into Spain via Salamanca and back across via Lourdes (and I’m a total atheist)

By coincidence I live just outside Le Puy en Velay, a medieval cathedral town which is one of the starting points for “el Camino”, or as the French say, le chemin de St Jaques de Compostelle

Lots of pilgrims about

Having stopped for snacks/drinks at one or two cafes on the French route I met some amazing travellers with equally amazing stories. All of humanity is there, and not a single complaint. Very uplifting just speaking to some of these people.

There are three separate start points, for those of a Spanish bias. As per post 2, there are several more.... including one starting in Cologne!

For the 'Spanish' version, one in France itself, St Jean Pied de Port, which will probably be familiar to many bods on this site. The other two are right on the Spanish / French border at Hondarribia and the other at the Somport tunnel. They all end in Santiago de Compostela. I'll plan on creating all three, along with their variations and excursions. it may well take a while.

Here is a very rough outline of the first, starting in St Jean Pied de Port. I will need to drag it around quite a bit but it'll give you an idea of the distance, being between 500 and 600 miles. So a bit of a hike on foot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kjwqkw3oeiqc8r/los caminos de santiago en moto.gpx?dl=0

Having stopped for snacks/drinks at one or two cafes on the French route I met some amazing travellers with equally amazing stories. All of humanity is there, and not a single complaint. Very uplifting just speaking to some of these people.

I agree with you on that. I spent about a week riding around this part of Spain, bumping into the Camino route from time to time. Everyone I met seemed to be perfectly happy wandering along, just as interested in where I had come from on my motorbike as I was in where they were walking to. I suppose it is quite good for the soul just to enjoy the moment and walk along, without too much else to trouble you.

I criss crossed the Camino at various points in my travels from Santander to Porto. One thing I noticed is the frequency of water troughs which are dead handy when on the bike. Not sure about drinking the water, usually from a proper tap, but great for standing in to cool your feet and to get some cool water to pour over your base layer to provide some evaporative cooling.

By coincidence I live just outside Le Puy en Velay, a medieval cathedral town which is one of the starting points for “el Camino”, or as the French say, le chemin de St Jaques de Compostelle

You do...? I have a friend who has a house in Espinasse and a gîtes which he converted from the ruins of the barn on his property. We're thinking of driving down and spending a couple of weeks there this summer.

I believe you can no longer climb up inside the Statue de Notre-Dame de France, is that correct?

No Camino en Moto for us but on the 29th of this month we’ll fly to Gibraltar. We have a nights accommodation booked in La Linea and then in the first we will set off walking.
The plan is to first walk the Via Serrana to Seville where we start the Via de la Plata which will lead to the Camino Sanabres.
All being well around 60 days later we will arrive in Santiago.
If that works we may walk on to Cap Finistere.

Around 1350km in all.......

No Camino en Moto for us but on the 29th of this month we’ll fly to Gibraltar. We have a nights accommodation booked in La Linea and then in the first we will set off walking.
The plan is to first walk the Via Serrana to Seville where we start the Via de la Plata which will lead to the Camino Sanabres.
All being well around 60 days later we will arrive in Santiago.
If that works we may walk on to Cap Finistere.

Around 1350km in all.......

I would say that is the best way to do the Camino ....walk it

No Camino en Moto for us but on the 29th of this month we’ll fly to Gibraltar. We have a nights accommodation booked in La Linea and then in the first we will set off walking...All being well around 60 days later we will arrive in Santiago. ....If that works we may walk on to Cap Finistere.....Around 1350km in all.......

Excellent! Please let us know how you get on, it will make a great trip report. There are bods on this site who would hesitate before riding that far in Spain without, “Tell us great roads and biker friendly digs. We go in a couple of days”

You do...? I have a friend who has a house in Espinasse and a gîtes which he converted from the ruins of the barn on his property. We're thinking of driving down and spending a couple of weeks there this summer.

I believe you can no longer climb up inside the Statue de Notre-Dame de France, is that correct?

Not been up for years but as far as I know you can still get up inside

Give me a shout if you pass through, we can hook up for a drink :beerjug:

I did the Camino about three years ago starting from Roncevales and returned using the northern coastal route via Cantabria, fantastic routes and a great experience. The old city of Santiago is fabulous.

I did the Camino about three years ago starting from Roncevales and returned using the northern coastal route via Cantabria, fantastic routes and a great experience. The old city of Santiago is fabulous.

Good, just booked a couple of nights there in this hotel https://www.miradordebelvis.es/ which seems to be a rare thing i.e. a central hotel with its own parking. I looked at the Parador but a stupid rate for my dates.

Good, just booked a couple of nights there in this hotel https://www.miradordebelvis.es/ which seems to be a rare thing i.e. a central hotel with its own parking. I looked at the Parador but a stupid rate for my dates.

Good choice, stayed there in 2016, short walk to the cathedral etc.

Bike parking is secure

Attachments

• 102DF91F-8569-492F-92A8-2CE723935440.jpg
    102DF91F-8569-492F-92A8-2CE723935440.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 411
Good choice, stayed there in 2016, short walk to the cathedral etc.

Bike parking is secure

Yes, having stayed there, I can recommend this hotel too. Very central

I do seem to remember having to rely on the satnav to guide me through the various narrow one way roads to get there though.

Good little find that Wapping.

I’m also drawn to doing the Camino by foot too. It will be spring / autumn timing though as I believe it is very popular. Nice to meet people and share stories along the way but not if it’s crowds of ‘em.

Yes, having stayed there, I can recommend this hotel too. Very central

I do seem to remember having to rely on the satnav to guide me through the various narrow one way roads to get there though.

it looks convoluted and even worse to get out as every road seems to be one way! I'm there for 2 nights and I will arrive, park the bike and then not ride until the morning I leave. I will have a day off the bike midway through my 2 week trip to explore the old city.

Excellent! Please let us know how you get on, it will make a great trip report. There are bods on this site who would hesitate before riding that far in Spain without, “Tell us great roads and biker friendly digs. We go in a couple of days”

Thanks for your vote of confidence. We are hoping that blisters and injuries stay away. We’ve packed light so the pack should be manageable. I managed to walk the French route from Sant Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 2017 which was 500 miles so......
One day at a time and all that.

I had always had a vague plan to do a long walk when I retire from work. Santiago, the length of the Pyrenees, Atlantic to Mediterranean in France...

The lesson I've learnt is that what would be a pleasantly taxing evet in your 40's might be rather more challenging in your 60's!

Back
Top Bottom