2014-2019 R1200RT Battery Replacement - Videos? Tips and tricks?

Omobono

Reaction score
Hi all,

the (aged) battery on my 2014-2019 R1200RT died peacefully during the winter.

I would ask you to kindly direct me towards the following:

1) a step-by step video if such one is existing. I found several for the older model, but none for the 2014 model.
2) any precaution with the electronics? With these modern bikes I am always afraid that there is more than just disconnect old, connect new, done...
3) instruction manual states:
with anti-theft alarm (DWA)OE If applicable, switch off the antitheft alarm (DWA)
but it does not say how that exactly work, what DWA is, where it is, how I recognise it and how I switch it off... any help?

Many thanks to everybody!

Omobono

There are absolutely tons of help on how to change the battery, google is your friend. You can also download the manual if you don't have one to tell you about the alarm. I had an alarm on my 2014 and changed the battery with no issues. One tip, once you disconnect the battery, when you reconnect the new one, your service light will be on. Just go into the menu and set the time and date and the service light will go out. The hardest bit about changing the battery is getting the clip undone that holds it onto the tray, but its just technique.

Hi all,

the (aged) battery on my 2014-2019 R1200RT died peacefully during the winter.

I would ask you to kindly direct me towards the following:

1) a step-by step video if such one is existing. I found several for the older model, but none for the 2014 model.

Youtube has a couple. Its easy though. You need a torx (25 I think) screwdriver to remove the 2 screws of the rhs black panel by your knee. Then you open the plastic box of the battery by lifting and opening the side lid on its latch ( instructions on manual, but its fairly self explanatory once you look at it). Then disconnect the visible terminal, pull battery out and disconnect the other. Reverse process to put new batt in. Buy an Odyssey battery of similar capacity. This last point is important as the bike has a lot of consumption demands, more so than other boxers and its battery isnlarger than say a GS.

2) any precaution with the electronics? With these modern bikes I am always afraid that there is more than just disconnect old, connect new, done...
No issues. Innever cared much tbh, but aside from menu resets etc, I never had an issue with mine which runs flat pretty much after every winter if left for more than a month (its a holiday bike stored in non electrified garage). Inkeep two batteries, one on the bike one at home. My bike has been sleeping since late Nov. As and when I will take it out around Easter, i will take the fresh battery, replace and go. I will leave the dead one to charge at home all summer etc.
3) instruction manual states:
with anti-theft alarm (DWA)OE If applicable, switch off the antitheft alarm (DWA)- it beeps if you dont, but if you do the swap quickly enough, it wont bother hopefully.
but it does not say how that exactly work, what DWA is, where it is, how I recognise it and how I switch it off... any help?

Many thanks to everybody!

Omobono

See responses above...

Back
Top Bottom