The view from SENA 10c Evo and other helmet cams

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there something I'm missing about the Sena 10c and it's various models?

Why is it that we want a camera recording 4k video, a good proportion of which shows that side of the videographers crash helmet? Or am I misunderstanding something and perhaps the view can be adjusted to omit the helmet portion?

It seems to me that if I am to go to the trouble of filming events and scenery then, no matter how convenient the SENA 10C and similar, surely it is better to buy a camera which can film a scene and not include a slice of helmet. After all, for the price of a 10c you can buy some very good cameras which offer the flexibility of being able to be mounted in various positions thus offering a greater of shots

I'd love to be convinced about the benefits of the Sena as I'm a fan of their tech but this problem seems to me to be a great turn off

Do you users have any views?

I don’t have any views or even use a 10c but I get what you are saying about what the camera sees. I think a small view of the helmet can help create an atmosphere in a video but if you are after taking a picture or clip from the video to create a wallpaper for you PC then you won’t want the helmet in the view. Different views and angles can add interest to a video story. The one advantage of the Sena units is you can narrate direct onto the video when you record it and don’t need another mic as you do with an action camera or the need to add it in post production. I’ve tried lots of different action cams but have settled on a session 5 because they are small and light and can’t be mounted pretty much any where. Still got to sort a mic out for one which is a total pain.
8fd680a95ddbd7e62cd1a2bebac7c547.jpg

All the helmet footage in these videos was from mine and my mate's 10Cs.

IMO video quality is good - 10C tops out at 1080p 30fps, which I think is fine.

10C can be powered while in use from the bike or a battery pack.

Mounted on my helmet (I'm on the GS), I have it set up with almost no helmet in the shot. Adam (Super Tenere) has a little of his helmet in his shots - we copped this later and fixed it.

10C proved to not be waterproof. Adam's is still going strong (recreational rider, virtually always dry weather rides), but mine crapped out after two years use (instructor, riding daily in all weathers) and Sena wouldn't help as it was out of warranty, even when I wanted to pay for repair...

So fuck Sena. I'm using a Cardo PackTalk Bold now...

For cameras we were also using Garmin VIRBs. These also top out at 1080p 30fps. Two of four have crapped out after two years of use and Garmin won't help as they're out of warranty, even when I wanted to pay for repair...

So fuck Garmin. I'll be investing in some Drift Ghost XL cameras (again topping out at 1080p 30fps) to replace my VIRBs (and the 10C). I was considering replacing the 10C with a newer 10C Evo or Pro, but neither of those are waterproof... :blast FFS...

And anyway, Sena product support sucks ass bad, so fuck them...

Back
Top Bottom