Splitting brake callipers

chrismckay

Reaction score
Has anybody ever split the callipers for the purpose of changing the pistons/seals

Noticed on Motorworks website that on the page where you order the pistons there is a warning advising not to split the callipers as they may not seal again!!!

Anybody got experience of this?

Chris...:D

I have done so on a pair of Suzuki bandit calipers. I recall that the fluid passageways between the halves were fitted with O rings to effect a seal. When reassembling be sure to have the mating surfaces scrupulously clean.
Alan R

Done several on R1100's not a problem with care and cleaniness, O ring seal between caliper halves available from BMW, care in tightening bolts evenly on reassembly to avoid warping, you don't need to split calipers to change pistons and seals though.

Yes, relatively easy job. Make sure all the parts are properly cleaned and de-greased & always use a brand new seal kit with the correct red rubber grease, which is usually supplied.

Relatively easy yes...but tread carefully, sometimes the bolts securing the 2 halves together have been known to be corroded in place and have sheared off. This is not meant to be scare mongering. Just advanced warning to get some penetrating fluid in there and also maybe some localised heat. I'd check that I can move the bolts before ordering the service kit.

A two page spread in this week's MCN (19th Feb 2020) detailing this exact procedure :)

Do you need to split calipers on a 2012 GS to remove / service pistons & seals, You don't on a R1100

However, The fact that you 'can' split them doesn't mean you need to. My 1150RT was 14 years old at the last inspection and there was still no need to split the calipers.

Don't blow the pistons out with compressed air, or like me you may spend the next half hour looking for your piston in the neighbours garden. :blast

Well Ian, Blowing them out with compressed air is a very good idea...however the way you blow them out is the key to success.

Don't split them then scrub them in a bucket that you chuck down the street and spend the next hours searching for the tiny 'O' rings you didn't know existed whatever you do; that they didn't leak on second assembly is a blessing.

I have split calipers before but when I did my own Brembo R11 calipers one would not seal. I found the small o rings in the Motorworks kit a bit limp, and ended up with a good 2nd hand caliper from the Bay for far less than the rebuild kit. I would be with the suggestion of a kit with new bolts as well as repeated attempts to fix weakened one on mine... DIY experience and not a trade gig...;)

Back
Top Bottom