September Medieval festival in Rothenburgh

ebbo

Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone planning a trip this September. The annual medieval festival in Rothenburgh is the weekend 4th to the 6th September. If you want a hotel in or around the town better book it soonish because the place sells out completely. It is great fun :thumb

https://www.rothenburg-tourismus.de/en/veranstaltungen/imperial-city-festival-rothenburg/

We’re going for the weekend then dropping down to Lindau for a few nights (highly recommended)

To break the journey we’re stopping one night in Boppard on the way there and one night in Rüdesheim on the way back. Both are on the side of the Rhine :thumb

Daily mileages are quite low :thumb

Rotterdam – Boppard 243m
Boppard – Rothenburg 243
Rothenburg – Lindau 163m
Lindau – Rüdesheim 283m
Rüdesheim – Rotterdam 280m

I have no idea about hotels, no idea at all :thumb

The map below is pretty useless but give you an idea of where you’d be going :nenau

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 127
Full marks for the heads-up and bonus point for being able to use Garmin’s software :thumb2

I was there for it in 1984. A great atmosphere, even some of the cops were dressed up as medieval soldiers. I seem to remember the Mayor stood on the town hall steps being egged on by the crowd many of them dressed up for the occasion to down a large flaggon of wine.

I had one of the best nights entertainment ever in Boppard, during a very wet trip to Germany a few years ago. Actully quite a few years ago - 2005 perhaps.

Five of us arrived on bikes, wet and miserable, went down to the hotel restaurant which was full of Germanic middle aged (and older) people. An entertainer with a keyboard. A whole evening with him playing oompah music and German olk songs and everyone, including us, singing along. The beer, and the stunningly attractive witresses, may have helped. The main course I had was the meat feast - every type of cold meat you can imagine with a variety of sauces and a mountain of chips.

This might be slightly more useful if I could remember the name of the hotel. I can't. Erebus or Erebor, perhaps?

EDIT: Found it on Google Maps - Hotel Ebertor. Had garages for parking the bikes in too.

EDIT AGAIN: As well as top marks for being able to use Basecamp, a gold star for making Boppard EXACTLY halfway between Rotterdam and Rothenburg. It is this attention to detail that built the British Empire.

I am not, repeat not staying at the Ebertor... but I might be :rolleyes:

Cheers, Richard,

Back
Top Bottom