Fork oil F700GS

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just changing fork oil on my 700GS (2017 model).
Service DVD states 550ml of oil in each leg with an air gap of 160mm.
Followed procedure in DVD drained all oil (left draining for over 5 mins), filled with 550ml, pumped inner tube several times, left to settle for about 5 mins.
Measured air gap and it is about 130mm!!
Confused as to why I cant get the correct air gap - can anybody advise on possible solutions?
Bike has done nearly 18000 miles and the old oil was very dirty but no particles in it.
Thanks in advance.

Draining for 5 minutes is not long enough to drain forks completely, you probably still had oil in there, on my F800, I suspend forks upside down above a container and go for lunch
c180c47e7a8d819f259e3b054f5d30be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it still 130 mm today?
As with emptying so with filling. It took me a long time to get it right - changed fork oil on my 650 several times and it was always a case of going slowly, using a syringe to top up 25mil a time then measure.
IIR the 550ml is probably a "dry rebuild" sort of measure.

Just trying the second leg, draining down overnight!! Not checked the first leg yet.
Will refill tomorrow slowly.
If the 550ml is a dry rebuild measure can I ask what is more important the 550ml or the 160mm?
TIA

Fully drained the oil from forks and refilled very slowly, achieved the 160mm air gap, patience needed!!
Thanks for all help.

Back
Top Bottom