Route Options

ChasF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We’re heading to Alicante next week, expecting to arrive late afternoon Wednesday so planning to leave early’ish Monday. The weather forecast is not good although nice enough at our destination. I’d rather not travel the whole way on motorways but if it gets us south more rapidly then so be it.

Options are:

5e9301f1a48e8015e95d7943cdace177.jpg

Although I doubt the route through Andorra is actually faster.

Option 2:

b420e3cae6e9a7c72c3b691f4da5da93.jpg

Anyone offer any advice - apart from not going!

What does Kurviger tell you?

What does the 50 routes for Spain tell you? You might need a little bit of work to stitch bits together but, hey, it’s a start

What does the RiDE website tell you? They certainly do route ideas to Valencia.

What does the ViaMichelin app throw up?

If it's dry and not too cold, take the second route and then divert through the Maestrazgo region - by the 'C' of Castellon. Aim for Cantavieja.

It's sparsely populated, truly beautiful, great scenery, twisty roads... but I do recall seeing snow pole by the roads.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried Via Michelin and Kurviger for routes both of which threw up some interesting options but with estimated journey times nearer 24 hours than 12 hours.

Given the weather forecast we’re keen to get to the Spanish border by the easiest route possible but which side - Biarritz or Perpignan? The problem with the route via Biarritz is that the onward route via Pamplona and Zaragoza is fairly high so will be colder and possibly suffer from other less pleasant weather. The Perpignan to Valencia route is mostly motorway or otherwise very convoluted and slow.

We’re in Alicante for a week or so, we can only hope the weather improves and we can find a more exciting route for the return leg.

Given it’s the ski/snow season it could possibly be worth avoiding Andorra or mountain routes but check first.

The excellent free Michellin ‘Navigation’ app is showing all the Pyrenees passes you are likely to take, as being open, bright green. Just to check, I scrolled across to the Alps, where (not surprisingly) it shows the much higher Alpine passes as shut, dark grey. I can not recommend the app too highly, as it seems to be updated regularly for traffic conditions.

Take the high road!

222b6955deaf7f11b6e1b78a46acaa2a.jpg

Take Option 2 but go via Pau then take the D934 to Laurens and onto Biescas in Spain then head for Zaragoza from Huesca. Then down to Alecante via A-23

Ive done the D934 many times its a fantastic pass over the Pyrenees.

Ah just read Wappings post above yeah it may well be closed this time of year :mad:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In the event, a problem with the bike resulted in our departure being delayed by two days and the outward trip was entirely motorway and aggravated by strong cross winds along the coast. We tried to take a more relaxed approach on the return but someone kindly arranged an appointment which meant we had to get back.

9df7f30833476737973958e88bfaf46e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom