Query from possible purchaser

wust588

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have been lusting after the R1200RS since its introduction, so started today looking at a selection in my local dealer.

I homed in on a 2016 example with all the bells and whistles, and ESA.

What surprised me was that sitting astride the bike I couldn't compress the front forks, and felt that the rear was just the same. The bike wasn't running.

My question is, do other owners find the suspension hard when riding? I'm just over 10stone, and an important thing for me riding bikes is that the suspension should at least work.

Or are BMW factory testers 20 stone? I've had a lot of trouble in the past with harsh suspension, and end up having to sell them.

Any views would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need to try it with the bike powered on, then see what the preload and suspension modes are selected on the ESA settings. Then take it for a test ride and play with the various modes.

I have owned a 2016 bike from new. It has very compliant suspension but you need to back off the settings if you encounter a very rough road.

The RS is an excellent all round bike,I am a bit biased as I've been in love with mine since I got it new in 2016. The new 1250 can't tempt me to change as it's a bit ...... Meh.

Thank you both for your replies. It's the sort of info I need.

The 1250 doesn't interest me at all, though a fine bike it must be. The 1200 will have more than enough power and torque
for me.

I'm determined to get one.....

The biggest difference with the 1250 is the low down power, not the top end that most us don’t ever need.

Good luck

Get a test ride. I was convinced I wanted one, but after 2 test rides I changed my mind.
Ended up buying a R1200R LC which felt ‘right’ straight away, unlike the RS.....

You need to try it with the bike powered on, then see what the preload and suspension modes are selected on the ESA settings. Then take it for a test ride and play with the various modes.

I have owned a 2016 bike from new. It has very compliant suspension but you need to back off the settings if you encounter a very rough road.

Its the most under rated bike you wont be disappointed

I found the ESA on the RS to be overly firm. I discounted it until had the chance to try one with manual suspension, which was much plusher, so I bought one. It reinforces my opinion that having had F, R and S models, I don’t like ESA. In fact only the K1600 seems to have truly plush ESA, possibly because of the weight. The RS is a great bike, the only minor niggle for me is they should really have fitted a manual rev counter instead of a manual speedo with an LCD screen capable of showing digital speed at the same time.

Matty589, that's an interesting discovery, The non-ESA bikes seem rare things, as most of the examples I've looked at have ESA suspension.

So I'll have to widen my search, because I really do need the most compliant suspension. And after all, there will only ever be me on the bike.

So…… I'm after a low mileage bike, very well looked after, without corrosion.

I drove 300 miles round trip today, to look at a bike described as above, which was anything but....

Matty589, that's an interesting discovery, The non-ESA bikes seem rare things, as most of the examples I've looked at have ESA suspension.

So I'll have to widen my search, because I really do need the most compliant suspension. And after all, there will only ever be me on the bike.

So…… I'm after a low mileage bike, very well looked after, without corrosion.

I drove 300 miles round trip today, to look at a bike described as above, which was anything but....

you will wait a long time for a silver fork, non ESA version to appear

go for a test ride - only you can decide and Matty's experience may not match your's. You need to play with the settings for preload and damping and unless you are exceptionally light or very heavy, you will find something that works for you.

Just re-read your OP and see you are light at 10 stone. Make sure you try a bike with some luggage and something in them to add a few kilos, to simulate a heavier rider, just for a comparison. The bike is designed to have a suspension range to cope with just a solo rider to 2-up with luggage

As above, the standard suspension is a compromise to suit a wide of loads.

I found it rarely provided a comfortable ride so swapped the OEM suspension for a custom build set up as I only ride solo - sometimes with full panniers & box.

Has worked well for years. Non-ESA of course.

As a relative lightweight, the OP should definitely go for a ride with the suspension on full soft as a starter to see how it feels.

Thanks everybody.

I'll more than likely settle for a bike with ESA. I'm under no illusions buying this bike, because I know from bitter experience
over the last few years that I'll never find compliant suspension that will suit my back. It will be used for fun and for the pleasure
of owning this model of BMW. Though I do think that having conventional front forks is better for me, as I never really liked
the Telelever set up. Always seemed harsh.

If I need to travel long distance on a mixture of roads I use my old twin shock (progressively sprung), soft seat Norton.

Your advice has been very helpful.

Thanks everybody.

I'll more than likely settle for a bike with ESA. I'm under no illusions buying this bike, because I know from bitter experience
over the last few years that I'll never find compliant suspension that will suit my back. It will be used for fun and for the pleasure
of owning this model of BMW. Though I do think that having conventional front forks is better for me, as I never really liked
the Telelever set up. Always seemed harsh.

If I need to travel long distance on a mixture of roads I use my old twin shock (progressively sprung), soft seat Norton.

Your advice has been very helpful.

There are a number of things you do to adapt the riding position as I think posture is probably more important than the suspension in terms of comfort. I have had knee & hip trouble in the past, although thankfully improved with some physio. I have lowered my pegs and raised the bars which allows me to ride over 300 miles in a day if needed. Research at https://www.r1200rsforum.com/ will give you lots of ideas about altering ergonomics.

I rarely ride my ‘66 RS without either/ and pillion or luggage, but I’ve never noticed the suspension seeming hard.

There are a number of things you do to adapt the riding position as I think posture is probably more important than the suspension in terms of comfort. .

Does a modern RS still allow you to alter seat height / screen height / bars up and down / bars forwards and backwards, like the old R11XXRS?

Does a modern RS still allow you to alter seat height / screen height / bars up and down / bars forwards and backwards, like the old R11XXRS?

only the screen - can be flipped into 2 positions plus you can adjust the screen into I think 4 positions on the carrier so 8 different settings I think

seat height can only be adjusted by specifying a low or high seat when you buy the machine new, or paying £££ at a later date. Different foam thicknesses and maybe a narrower pan on the short seat.

bars can be adjusted but only if you fit adapters. Plenty of pattern parts from the £20 Aliexpress items to very expensive stuff from Ilium.

I rarely ride my ‘66 RS without either/ and pillion or luggage, but I’ve never noticed the suspension seeming hard.

Depends on your weight. Not saying you’re porky but I’m 75Kg and the ESA RS models I tested were horrible - rear end bounced around and felt very harsh and underdamped. It crashed over each bump and shallow potholes bounced me out of the seat. The manual suspension wasn’t perfect but much better and more importantly adjustable, if only at the rear. As I said YMMV - aside from the K series I’ve not tried a BMW with ESA that I thought was anywhere near as good as decent manual suspension set up properly.

Depends on your weight. Not saying you’re porky but I’m 75Kg and the ESA RS models I tested were horrible - rear end bounced around and felt very harsh and underdamped. It crashed over each bump and shallow potholes bounced me out of the seat. The manual suspension wasn’t perfect but much better and more importantly adjustable, if only at the rear. As I said YMMV - aside from the K series I’ve not tried a BMW with ESA that I thought was anywhere near as good as decent manual suspension set up properly.

I’m 90kg, maybe you’re right....... about the ESA not the porky bit!

:D

It doesn't surprise me that the front doesn't move much for you with the bike not running. The front forks seem to almost lock in whatever position they were in when I turn off the ignition which I use to advantage as the side stand is almost too long. So when stopped, before I shut it off, I pull up on the bars to raise the front then shut it off and the forks remain in their extended position.

It doesn't surprise me that the front doesn't move much for you with the bike not running. The front forks seem to almost lock in whatever position they were in when I turn off the ignition which I use to advantage as the side stand is almost too long. So when stopped, before I shut it off, I pull up on the bars to raise the front then shut it off and the forks remain in their extended position.

I agree that the side stand is a tad too long, and that’s a good idea about raising the front.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom