Road 5 GT's

oddshapedballs

Reaction score
Tossing up between getting another set of Metzeler Roadtec 01's (HWM versions) or having a change to Michelin Road 5 GT's, has anyone made the change or had experience of both on either the RT or anything else?

I like the look of the Road 5's, just wondering how they handle and how they wear :thumb2

There are not many RT owners on here, try joining an RT forum such as 1200rt.com or a US centric site Luxury Touring forum. Better still there is a very active RT1200/RT1250 facebook page, I have seen a few on there that are now using the 5GTs

One of my biker friends has the 5 GT,s on his 1250RT and raves about them he’s been a long term high mileage RT rider
As soon as I’ve worn out the Metzeler Z8,s on my 1200rt I’m giving them a go. I understand it has to be the gt version for the rt.
The Z8,s aren’t that confidence inspiring in the wet for me.

Thanks for the replies, the Metzeler's are amazing in the wet but the Michelin's get a good write up and are supposedly (if you believe the journo shite) even better.

Decisions...decisions :mmmm

Sticking with the Metzeler's; can't see how anything is better (IMO) on the RT.

Purely for comedic purposes, I called my local BMW pirates to see how much they charge to supply/fit a set....£340 :pullface fucking madness! I can't believe there are any idiots in the world that would pay that for a set of tyres, my local tyre fitter is over £100 cheaper.

I did over 20k on 4GTs on my 14 RT and I thought they were brilliant. My 1250 has Z8s and to be honest I think they are also pretty good in the dry and wet. So come tyre change time, it will be a toss up between the 5GTs and Z8s :)

I did over 20k on 4GTs on my 14 RT and I thought they were brilliant. My 1250 has Z8s and to be honest I think they are also pretty good in the dry and wet. So come tyre change time, it will be a toss up between the 5GTs and Z8s :)
That's interesting. Don't fancy giving the Roadtec 01 a go? I think they'll be my next set, if I have the bike that long.

I'm also happy with the Z8, but as the 01 is supposed to be a clear improvement I would be tempted.

Z8's were very good but the Roadtec 01 (HWM) is a step up.

Ive got 5 GT's on mine now after a set of 4GT's the 5's are less squirmy when riding spiritedly on dry roads and as good as the 4's in the wet.

Recently compared them on a 1200 wc rt. Not much in it. Some preferred the 01s, others the Michelin. Ended up staying with the 01s. Both are good tyres.

Metzeler 01SE?

Hi

Just approaching the same dilemma. What should be my next set of Tyres. Bike came with Michelin GT4s I had had them on my previous bike but found that they we a little squirmy and seem to have much less effective grip long before the tread was worn out. Changed to Metzeler 01 and I have been very happy with them but after riding through the winter they are quite squared off on the rear and I am looking to change them, to improve the handling again.

Do I try the Michelin 5GTs, stick with a new set of the Metzeler 01 even try the 01 SE

What is the real world difference between the 01 and the 01SE on the Metzeler website it looks like there is a little more of the tyre as slick on the edges but that seems to be much the same with the 5GTs against the 4GTs

Decisions decisions ( Car needs new tyres too so I'm going to be broke next month :blast)

I'll stir the pot; Continental Road Attack 3 is a great tyre, IMHO.............

Back
Top Bottom