innovv k2 & Denali cansmart - K2 not powering up

carbonguy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for starting a new thread on this subject but couldn't find what I wanted to know on the previous similar threads.
I have a 2014 1200GS LC. I am trying to fit an Innovv K2 (front and back camera) system to my bike through a Denali Cansmart Gen 1 system. The camera worked when I tested it out of the box. I have wired up both systems and attached the cameras and GPS etc. I wanted to power the K2 through one of the channels of the Denali (I don't currently have anything on the Denali - saving up for lights! and so only thing on the cansmart is the K20.

I have successfully (I think - followed instructions and no error messages) updated the firmware on the Cansmart and the K2. I have put the K2 on Channel 2 (red and yellow) of the Cansmart (I bought a little pigtail from Denali to make this connection) and set that channel to simple circuit providing 12v switched for a non Denali accessory (on the Denali control software on the Macbook).

Problem - K2 is not powering up. When I put on the ignition the lights on the K2 shiny box (control box?) light up (red, green and yellow, I think) for about 1 second and then go off. I don't think that the K2 is being powered up. I have tried to connect the iPhone to the camera and it is not seeing anything.

Have a missed anything obvious? I presume that the cansmart can deliver simple 12v power and the K2 should be happy with that and start to work. Any ideas? Suggestions? the fuse is fine.

Thanks (in frustration)

Have you configured the cansmart using a laptop or tablet ? If you have have you set the delay at power up and shutdown to 10 seconds ?

I did configure it with a laptop (Mac). I didn't notice any delay option. Just had a quick look and still haven't found it. Can you tell me where it is? I am not sure whether i waited for 10 secs. I will try tomorrow. Thanks

I did configure it with a laptop (Mac). I didn't notice any delay option. Just had a quick look and still haven't found it. Can you tell me where it is? I am not sure whether i waited for 10 secs. I will try tomorrow. Thanks

Its in the menu on the App. The K2 takes 10 seconds to start up when its fed with 12v, it also needs a 10 second delay when powering down to allow it to save the last video clip. Are you using the Innovv power supply ? If you are the yellow wire must be attached to the cansmart as thats the trigger wire. Thats all you need to wire up, provided the live and earth are attached to the battery. The Innovv power supply already has the 10 second delay built in so you have to configure the cansmart to have zero delay. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for replying. OK. will check tomorrow

Yes, I am using the K2 power supply.

Actually i have wired it up differently. I have put all of the wires (black, red and yellow) into the cansmart pigtail (Denali supplied plastic connector with three similar coloured leads).I haven't connected the red and the black to the battery. I was hoping to wire everything through the cansmart. Just to confirm - you are suggesting that i just connect the yellow to the cansmart and the red and black direct to the bike battery?

Thanks for replying. OK. will check tomorrow

Yes, I am using the K2 power supply.

Actually i have wired it up differently. I have put all of the wires (black, red and yellow) into the cansmart pigtail (Denali supplied plastic connector with three similar coloured leads).I haven't connected the red and the black to the battery. I was hoping to wire everything through the cansmart. Just to confirm - you are suggesting that i just connect the yellow to the cansmart and the red and black direct to the bike battery?

Yes, thats exactly what to do. Red to + battery terminal. Black to - battery terminal. And yellow trigger wire directly onto cansmart. Thats it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there. Thought that I would update. I have solved a problem (thanks to you) but got another one! Waiting the 10 seconds did the trick. Firstly, for mine, the engine needs to be on rather than just the ignition. The power doesn't reach the K2 for about 20-30 seconds (rather than 10 but this isn't a big deal). I still didn't find the place to change this length of time (but not really bothered about it at the moment).

The new problem is that the DVR doesn't power up automatically. I have to press the silver button to start it. after that it seems to work fine. The little power light on the 5/12V DC converter comes on after the 20 or so seconds but the DVR doesn't turn on unless I start it. This will obviously be a problem in normal use. ( apart from being a bore, I will need a key to open and close the seat to turn on the DVR and a key to start the bike to start up the DVR).

The other (at the moment) little problem is that, in the Innovv app, I can't change the type of file to MP4. when I do, the DVR stops recording. When I leave it blank, it seems to record (the record light flashes and the app shows it to be recording). Strange

Oh important!. BTW, I didn't change the wiring yet. the three wires are still going through the Cansmart and the red/black is not yet going to the battery. This might be the problem with the not turning on but I want to ask whether I haven't put a correct setting in first before rewiring.
Thanks in advance

Hi there. Thought that I would update. I have solved a problem (thanks to you) but got another one! Waiting the 10 seconds did the trick. Firstly, for mine, the engine needs to be on rather than just the ignition. The power doesn't reach the K2 for about 20-30 seconds (rather than 10 but this isn't a big deal). I still didn't find the place to change this length of time (but not really bothered about it at the moment).

The new problem is that the DVR doesn't power up automatically. I have to press the silver button to start it. after that it seems to work fine. The little power light on the 5/12V DC converter comes on after the 20 or so seconds but the DVR doesn't turn on unless I start it. This will obviously be a problem in normal use. ( apart from being a bore, I will need a key to open and close the seat to turn on the DVR and a key to start the bike to start up the DVR).

The other (at the moment) little problem is that, in the Innovv app, I can't change the type of file to MP4. when I do, the DVR stops recording. When I leave it blank, it seems to record (the record light flashes and the app shows it to be recording). Strange

Oh important!. BTW, I didn't change the wiring yet. the three wires are still going through the Cansmart and the red/black is not yet going to the battery. This might be the problem with the not turning on but I want to ask whether I haven't put a correct setting in first before rewiring.
Thanks in advance

Id rewire it and see what happens. Now because your using the Innovv power supply you dont need to program a delay into the cansmart because its already in the power unit. So if its taking that long to power up i think you need to go into cansmart settings and set the delay on that channel to zero. Im using the gen 2 ezcan so i can set any channel to any setting i need for what it is I’m running off that channel. Keep me posted after you rewire it but id do that before anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.I will have a go but it might take me a week to get to it. I will report back. Thanks again

you must wire it to the battery using the fused lead,and you must put the yellow k2 trigger on a ignition feed,it will then work,the instructions are quite clear on this,not quite sure why you deceided to do otherwise tbh

I was trying to keep my wires tidy and not have too many attached to the battery and i didn't want to splice the yellow into an ignition feed (I don't do this sort of thing regularly and so lack confidence). I also assumed that the Cansmart would be able to provide power all of the time. I contacted Denali and they said that it might work (and certainly didn't say that it wouldn't work). Also the instructions that i got weren't clear in saying that this was the only way that it worked. Anyway, i have now had clarity from Denali Cansmart that it can't provide the power all of the time and so another thank you for those that have helped.

For clarity for those reading this in the future - the red and black of the K2 have to go straight to the battery but you can splice the yellow into a spare channel on the Cansmart.

Back
Top Bottom