Intermittent smoking problem

PHILIPHUW

Reaction score
Dear All.

One of my bikes is a 33 year old R100RS. It has a smoking problem. While out on a ride, if I'm held at traffic lights, etc, the right-hand exhaust (sometimes) starts to belch out whitish smoke. It doesn't do this on start-up. It doesn't do it every time. I have had the pot off every now and again to sort out oil leaks and the like, so I may have buggered an oil control ring, but as I say, sometimes the right-hand pot behaves itself. Any ideas?

Oil ring would be my guess....but I’m no mechanic

if I'm held at traffic lights, etc, the right-hand exhaust (sometimes) starts to belch out whitish smoke. It doesn't do this on start-up. It doesn't do it every time.

Unlikely to be an Oil control ring or it would do it all the time

Take off carbs and check the end of the RH crank breather tube into the intake trumpet

You may

Have overfilled the Oil level (Try not to constantly top up if its a 1/2 to a 1/3rd full on the dipstick that's fine Topping up just blows it around the engine Recheck after a short run up to temperature if you have the thermostat oil filter cooler housing fitted

Or have ring blow past forcing more oil vapour up through there and since folks tend to lean on the right foot ready to change gear it drips in that side first

Carb flooding occasionally ?
Good MA2 Synth oil doesn't froth as much and tends not get blown out the breather either, so if you use it you can fill to the top of the dipstick.

Thanks everyone. Took off the plastic tube from the airbox to the carb. It was quite oily inside. Ran the bike with the tube off and got no smoke.

Thanks everyone. Took off the plastic tube from the airbox to the carb. It was quite oily inside. Ran the bike with the tube off and got no smoke.

This points to a breather issue. There's a valve with a spring under the breather outlet. Worth having a look at. It might be stuck open. No guarantees!

Back
Top Bottom