Number Plare Location

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2010 Ultra Classic is finally registered (3yr DVLA & HMRC struggle) and with having the Kuryakyn Panacea LED brake light with upward facing plate light and still the original with down facing light, there is two options.

What is the legality in the U.K. of a plate location?

Above or below the brake light; or irrelevant.

Patria o Muerte

check mot testers manual , and constructions and use regs.
what is needed for one may not be needed for the other .

for example , speedo has to be there for mot , but doesn't have to be working ... but get stopped by plod with it not working is a ticket.

Will have to be below. No space in height to fit a legal plate between brake light and trunk case.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

+1 The usual dilemma with an Electraglide.

Earlier bikes, including my 2006 UK bike had the number plate in the US position, tucked under the tourpack, which required a dinky (aka illegal) little plate lit by the upward facing light. Nice I thought, pretty well camera shy too, but would I need to try to brazen it out at MOT time. However, discussing the legality with my local MOT guy, as well as the HD dealer (then Black Bear), I was persuaded to fit a UK legal HD tail light kit as my bike was viewed as a MOT fail - rather than wait for OE style, I went with bullet indicators that BB had in stock .......

Stock Code : 53702-04A Description: Bullet TS bar & Licence plate relocation kit. This includes a separate rear reflector & downward plate lighting.

I know many will question taking the bike totally UK legal & prefer live with a tiny show plate or even fit a car style all in a line number plate - personally I can't be bothered with the inevitable hassle. Each to their own.

is the bike a private import? if so then you can legaly have a small number plate.

the basic rule is that if the vehicle is privatly imported and not a EU type approved, and the space for the number plate is too small to allow the fitment of a standard EU/UK size plate than you can fit a small one, basicaly what ever fits but the actual rules and sizes are found in link below. Been running a standard USA size bike number plate on our Harley since we bought it in 1995

Pic is from MOT test book

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2687/regulation/5/made

Attachments

• Importplates.jpg
    Importplates.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 181

Back
Top Bottom