Basemap or convert/upgrade to Mapsource ?

JR1K

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Should I still be using Mapsource or “convert” toBaseCamp?

I have used Mapsource for years and tried Basecamp a while ago.

I found basecamp awkward and lacked features compared to Mapsource.

I think this may have been due to my familiarity with Mapsource and as there seemed no need to convert I have remained a Mapsource user.

Recently I noted some quirks when transferring routes from my PC to my Zumo 660.

Some routes missed one or more waypoints.

This has not happened previously.

I am using maps updated to 2020.20

Apologies if this topic has been covered already,I tried searching the Forums without finding any relevant posts.

Many thanks

JR :)

Update to BaseCamp, it is not the monster some people claim it to be. There are lots of good self-help videos, whilst help is also available through UKGSer. In truth it’s not so very different to Mapsource, simply with some extra bells and whistles, as demanded by bods, in the same way that they want their gps device to entertain them whilst they hoon.

If you really cannot or will not use it, then MyRoute and other third party software is out there, too.

Update to BaseCamp, it is not the monster some people claim it to be. There are lots of good self-help videos, whilst help is also available through UKGSer. In truth it’s not so very different to Mapsource, simply with some extra bells and whistles, as demanded by bods, in the same way that they want their gps device to entertain them whilst they hoon.

If you really cannot or will not use it, then MyRoute and other third party software is out there, too.

There is one big difference between the two different packages: the computer resources needed to run them. If the OP's computer is as ancient as his Zumo 660 then it might struggle with Basecamp.

Life's too short to use Basecamp, stick with Mapsource if possible.

Struggled with Basecamp at first and depending on how often you use it you may struggle with it evry time you use it.
If its only a couple of routes a year you build then it could be a painful experience.

As Wapping says though its not as bad once your familiar with it, and watching tutorials is the way to go.
The more you use it........ its a piece of pish :D

Many thanks to everyone who responded.

I would appreciate knowing if Mapsource is still useable?

I use my 660 on my bike and in my campervan. We are planning a 5,000 km trip to Europe over 16 days and at present I am compiling this using Mapsource.

I am minded to migrate to Basecamp if my Garmin unit might not work correctly if I continue with Mapsource.

Cheers

John

In your opening post, you say you are using it but has apparently had a problem. You are reluctant to try BaseCamp or apparently anything else.

Keep on using it until it stops working, fixing whatever problems you encounter, would be my suggestion. In the men time, it should still work fine.

Many thanks to everyone who responded.

I would appreciate knowing if Mapsource is still useable?

I use my 660 on my bike and in my campervan. We are planning a 5,000 km trip to Europe over 16 days and at present I am compiling this using Mapsource.

I am minded to migrate to Basecamp if my Garmin unit might not work correctly if I continue with Mapsource.

Cheers

John

John, I still use Mapsource, tried Basecamp couldn't get on with it, no doubt if I persevered I'd get used to it, but I don't need to as Mapsource works very well for me.

Mine is an old version, but my Garmin has the latest maps. Bear in mind all you do with a "route" in Mapsource, is transfer a series of waypoints, your Garmin will calculate route based on its own algorithms.

I put in waypoints either side of major towns, so if there is a new bypass etc, my Garmin will route via that. Of course if my hotel is in that major town I'll have a waypoint for it.

This method works for me on annual trips usually of 2500 miles/ 8 days. Last few years have seen me in/on Route de Napoleon, Alsace/Black Forrest/Dolomites/Grossglockner etc. Plus closer to home, trips to Scotland / Wales & around God's county, North Yorkshire. I route to avoid motorways mainly.

Mapsource is still fully functional, and will work with a 660 with no problems, (it may not always be). what i would suggest is try to have the same maps on your pc as your nav, and also have the same settings on both nav and mapsource to help alleviate any discrepancies

Basecamp or Mapsource

Many thanks I will follow you4 advice.

Regards
John

In your opening post, you say you are using it but has apparently had a problem. You are reluctant to try BaseCamp or apparently anything else.

Keep on using it until it stops working, fixing whatever problems you encounter, would be my suggestion. In the men time, it should still work fine.

Back
Top Bottom