European tour suggestions (book)

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know this should really be in the book section but it’s touring orientated so what the hell?

If you’re short of ideas and don’t mind paying a small amount plus have a tablet with the Kindle App you could do a lot worse than purchase this:

Great Motorcycle Tours of Europe is the book
Colette Coleman is the author

Loads of good suggestions and you can either print copies before setting off or just rely on using your Kindle as an electronic tour guide. It doesn’t work too well on a normal Amazon Kindle device but comes up ok on a phone if it’s got a decent sized screen and you don’t mind scrolling around a bit.

I downloaded it more from curiosity than expectation but was suitably impressed enough to recommend it here and risk the wrath of Wapping 😀

The pictures are very good and it’s well formatted so comes across very well on a larger iPad.

Buy it, you know you want it and you’ll soon find something to use as the basis for a decent tour.

Here’s a screenshot taken on a iPhone 11 so you can see exactly what you get per page.

9bd7d1eb0759990bd7ccb7f8da9b4537.jpg

Go on Wessie, but it

Pah, the wessie positioning system (TM UKRM) is far too knowledgeable to need such a thing

I knocked this up in 10 minutes this afternoon for the June Geriatrics tour https://goo.gl/maps/1ngG7WahHdZcqCbW9

Attachments

• 2020-03-02.jpg
    2020-03-02.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 242
Thank you for the heads-up on the book. I’d like to think that it’ll be useful for many bods who want ideas as to where to go and what roads to ride. Gain an extra five bikermate points for not posting it in the 1200 section. Your not doing so means that they can stay concentrating on lifting their awesomes off their side stands, a task that defeats many of them.

The style, lay-out and publishing looks very much like the excellent offerings from the German touring magazines, like Alpentourer..... with the added benefit that it’s not in foreign

I’ll have a go at cutting the routes into Garmin files. Of course they are versions of the usual favourites but that in no way denigrates the author’s efforts to publish an attractive and reasonably well informed book.

Yes, bods could do the lot (and more besides) for themselves, but for people looking for ideas on where to maybe go and near enough what to expect, the book would be very useful. Are there people like that on this site? Yes, of course there are; it’s largely why the Travel section exists. Could some of them do more to help themselves, too? Yes, again. But that doesn’t really matter, it’s still a good book.

If you can offer Garmin files of the routes in the book for those less capable or willing then I’m sure others will use them and sometimes even express gratitude :D

I’m sure the book will provide inspiration for my wife and I when we’re sitting bickering about where to go and having the usual “you choose” - “no, you choose” discussions that happen every winter in our home.

Back
Top Bottom