Nav 6 when bike not used for some time

Amadeus

Reaction score
If I've not used my bike for some time and I turn the bike on, the Nav 6 doesn't start up - I get a completely black screen. I appreciate that the battery will drain but I'd expect that once it was powered up again, it would get enough power to start up and be functional, as well as charging.
So I set off with a black screen and I thought it would at some point sprint into life. However, it doesn't come back to life until some time in to a ride (20 mins or so is probably the shortest time I've tried this) when I stop and restart the bike.

Is this the same for everyone or a quirk of my bike/device?

Thanks

Mine is similar - if I leave it unattended for about a fortnight then the internal battery is flattened and does not recover immediately upon startup.
Answer 1 remove from bike after use
or
Answer 2 use your bike more often! :thumby:

The Nav6 is not turned off when you remove the key from the bike, but it is "standby" mode and still keeping track of the satellites. If leaving the bike for some time, you should remove the Satnav and depress the power button until the "Turn off device" screen is displayed.

Yep ,common Issue .As beemerboy says, I remove from Bike if I know I am not riding it for a fortnight or so. then turn if off manually by pushing the button on the rear. I also charge it off the bike ,USB socket in house

The Nav V needs manually charging once a month when not on the bike and switched off.

Considering the attention to detail on the bike, it is surprising that the device doesn't draw enough power to start up immediately regardless of what's stored in the battery but I guess it's a first world problem that doesn't *need* to be fixed and let's be honest, we'd all prefer a few more horses, better handling etc. :)

Funny how my zummo 550 could sit for months without needing a charge

Reading this thread i grabbed my 6 to see ...

yup flat ...

so i stuck it on charge & though i'd do a map update.

Can i heck as like find a charge & data cable ffs!

The Nav V needs manually charging once a month when not on the bike and switched off.

Took my Nav V off my bike last November and put it in a drawer.

Just checked and it's still charged

Mike

No doubt the longevity of the device’s ability or otherwise to maintain its charge when fully shut down will vary on a number of circumstances, including but not limited to:

A. The state and level of charge when the device is shut down

B. Bods knowing the difference between fully shut down and it being just asleep or off

C. The conditions under which the device is stored. For example, in a warm room versus a cold garage

D. The general health and well being of the device’s battery

E. Bods’ overall expectations (disappointment or rapture) at the level of remaining charge displayed when the device is restarted

F. One model of device versus another

Certainly someone pointing out (the obvious!) that being asleep and fully shutdown was useful to me.

I think my surprise was how it recovers from when it's run out of juice and plugged back in to the bike/power. I'd expected it to be more like a laptop where it immediately used power from the power source and charged the battery in the background, instead it seems to require the device battery to get a certain amount of charge in it. It is what it is tho.

I had a new battery fitted for the same reason thinking it was faulty . But it will not keep charge in storage even when powered down. After a week its almost flat

Back
Top Bottom