Scooters.

I remember reading a magazine report on a group ride out in the Alps, where a 650 Burgman was preferred to a Harley Tourer as a mountain weapon. Maybe that's not saying much......

Bearing in mind that French A roads are now limited to 50 mph, I would not hesitate for one moment to tour on a maxi-scooter.

What is the joke?

Yes, that was the joke.
I see you really cannot take it (as others did)

Do you want to tell that joke to a 6' 2" scooter rider in the centre of Rome or Naples? Especially in Italian.......

I'm 6' 3". Italian. Born and bred in Rome. First motor vehicle I learnt to ride was a Vespa 200 when I was a kid.
Had a number of scooters before getting on a motorbike and still use scooters from time to time. :D

You must be fun at parties. :D

If it makes you feel better, I'm equally amused by all those middle aged bods with GSAs overloaded with extra bling that are then unable to turn them around in a cafè car park (and by the looks of it, lots of them write in here too)... :D

Never take yourself too seriously.

where a 650 Burgman was preferred to a Harley Tourer as a mountain weapon. Maybe that's not saying much...

A brick is probably easier and more enjoyable to ride on a mountain road rather than an Harley Tourer. Of course a Burgman will handle better.

Ever since I had a C650GT as a loaner I've been reading up on others big scooters.
I will eventually own one but there's not enough room in my garage unless I have
a cull. The 650GT is expensive and they've stopped making the 650 Burgman. So
may set my sights on a lower capacity scoot like yours, but was impressed with the
performance of the BMW and would hope it wouldn't dissapoint. I'm anticipating
there is a shortfall on oomf but how much I ask myself. A test ride beckons.:)

PS. I also sat on the Honda 750 scoot but found the seating position a bit cramped
and the footboards were only for bods with ballerina feet.

Burgman 0 - 50mph is great and more than enough performance especially inner city. Motorway cruising at 70mph is done with ease. 80mph is no problem if you want to push on and the 60 - 70 acceleration is again done with ease. Indicated mpg (on board computer) is ridiculous but haven’t had it long enough to really work it out but I reckon 80mpg is going to be about right for mixed riding.
400 is also easy to push around etc were as the 650is a bit of a beast :beerjug:

I remember reading a magazine report on a group ride out in the Alps, where a 650 Burgman was preferred to a Harley Tourer as a mountain weapon. Maybe that's not saying much......

Bearing in mind that French A roads are now limited to 50 mph, I would not hesitate for one moment to tour on a maxi-scooter.

Would it have to be white though :)

Yes, that was the joke.
I see you really cannot take it (as others did)

I'm 6' 3". Italian. Born and bred in Rome. First motor vehicle I learnt to ride was a Vespa 200 when I was a kid.
Had a number of scooters before getting on a motorbike and still use scooters from time to time. :D

You must be fun at parties. :D

If it makes you feel better, I'm equally amused by all those middle aged bods with GSAs overloaded with extra bling that are then unable to turn them around in a cafè car park (and by the looks of it, lots of them write in here too)... :D

Never take yourself too seriously.

A brick is probably easier and more enjoyable to ride on a mountain road rather than an Harley Tourer. Of course a Burgman will handle better.

Looks like I need to learn the difference between a joke and an insult to scooter riders

Burgman 0 - 50mph is great and more than enough performance especially inner city. Motorway cruising at 70mph is done with ease. 80mph is no problem if you want to push on and the 60 - 70 acceleration is again done with ease. Indicated mpg (on board computer) is ridiculous but haven’t had it long enough to really work it out but I reckon 80mpg is going to be about right for mixed riding.
400 is also easy to push around etc were as the 650is a bit of a beast :beerjug:

I average around 65 mpg on my Burger, that's a mix of 50 mph A roads and rush hour (small) city centre traffic.

My first experience in the alps with three pals back in (?)`88 saw us big boys overtaken at every stop by an "old" couple on 125 scoots - a real Hare & Tortoise situation all the way up the Rhone to the Furka and beyond

My first experience in the alps with three pals back in (?)`88 saw us big boys overtaken at every stop by an "old" couple on 125 scoots - a real Hare & Tortoise situation all the way up the Rhone to the Furka and beyond

I'll be taking my 390 Duke back to the Alps this year even though I have several other bikes which would be considered more appropriate for touring including a C650 Sport.

On my last trip with Julian on his top spec Multi, only once did I wish I had more power.

It's so easy to throw around and the lack of power keeps me out of prison.

I'll be taking my 390 Duke back to the Alps this year even though I have several other bikes which would be considered more appropriate for touring including a C650 Sport.

On my last trip with Julian on his top spec Multi, only once did I wish I had more power.

It's so easy to throw around and the lack of power keeps me out of prison.

I took my 390 Duke down to the Alps last September. I didn’t ride it there though cos it fits perfectly in the garage on my motorhome. :D

It was absolutely brilliant razzing up and down the passes around Morzine and Annecy. :clap

Back
Top Bottom