Hello, I seem to have gone Orange!

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all,

AMI Gorey (Wexford) made me a very good deal trading in '10 R1200GSA and '07 Ducati ST3S against one of their fleet bikes, a 2018 KTM SA-S wit 21K kms.

I am delighted, plenty of power and that is in RAIN mode. I will have the hang of it by the time I go with Overlanders on Alps tour in July.

Thanks again to Gary Rynhart, and now let's get those photo-rally points!

Bin

Attachments

• KTM01.jpg
    KTM01.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 469
  • KTM02.jpg
    KTM02.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 447
Ugh, get it out of rain mode, street is much better and still has loads of TC intervention.

I run sport 95% of the time, it has to be pretty damn wet for me to turn to street, and Rain mode just feels like someone has put and inch of free play in the throttle cable and removed one spark plug

Nice bike. I don’t recall ever using rain mode on either of mine! And I ride all year round.

That makes me blush into my porridge, goes with the Orange theme I suppose. OK, will explore the Street and Sport modes pdq.

That makes me blush into my porridge, goes with the Orange theme I suppose. OK, will explore the Street and Sport modes pdq.

Welcome to the bright side & glad you're enjoying it so far :thumb2

Spare your blushes, FWIW I use Rain loads regardless of the weather. I find it so much smoother commuting to work through heavy city centre traffic and it makes filtering a much more pleasant experience.

I don't actually notice much difference between Road & Sport (I think I'm in a minority of one here :D) so just leave it mostly in Road. If I want to have a proper hoon I just turn everything off, that's when the fun really begins :beerjug:

Andres

I too have abandoned rain mode - street works fine in the rain!

Word of advice from one who has come from GS to SAS - don't adjust the suspension load whilst sat on the bike - mine is now stuck in rider and luggage! KTM have accepted a warranty claim for the chewed up nylon adjuster but so far I have waited two weeks for the part to arrive. The GS would rise and fall whilst on the bike but KTM's don't like it!

The manual just says that the bike must be stationary but apparently you need to be off the bike too before you adjust preload.

Maith tú Laurence.

Wishing you loads of miles and smiles.

Go n-neíri an bóthar leat. :thumb2

He's old, give him a chance :D

Nice one Laurence, well may she wear :thumb

Yeah, I was brought up on ZZR1100's / ZX9R's / ZZR1400's - 150+ BHP and no traction control or Poofta modes, running on shit tyres (by todays standards) and am therefore of the view if you need to wipe 60 BHP off the output of your bike because of a spot of rain you have bought the wrong bike!

+1 on Sport Vs Street being very similar, I believe the throttle maps are identical (or so close I cant tell the difference) but sport allows a bit more spin / lift. In street the front wheel will stay glued to the floor, in Sport it can float a little under acceleration, won't allow a wheelie, but the front will be skimming the road all the way through 1st to 3rd gear - which I like, in Street you can feel the bike being held back a little by the TC - which I don't like. But if not giving it big handfuls you will be hard pressed to notice any difference.

I mostly run sport throttle and comfort suspension (for the roads around me) but on perfectly smooth faster roads I often use street suspension, on the 1190 I would occasionally use Sport (fast and smooth roads with full luggage where it would get a smidge wallowy) but the 1290 seems a bit firmer all around than the 1190, especially up front.

We had a grand spin to Bunclody for brekkie yesterday, 10 bikers of a certain age. Went there via Arklow Woodenbridge Rathdrum Aughrim, back via Tullow Hollywood and Laragh. Spin over Wicklow Gap was splendid. The bike is on Michelin Road Trail 5 tyres, turns sweetly! First day since last November where the roads were dry and bike has not been plastered in road crap, just some Scottoiler crap! If anyone thinks cruise control or quickshift are ott (as I did!), try them!

We had a grand spin to Bunclody for brekkie yesterday, 10 bikers of a certain age. Went there via Arklow Woodenbridge Rathdrum Aughrim, back via Tullow Hollywood and Laragh. Spin over Wicklow Gap was splendid. The bike is on Michelin Road Trail 5 tyres, turns sweetly! First day since last November where the roads were dry and bike has not been plastered in road crap, just some Scottoiler crap! If anyone thinks cruise control or quickshift are ott (as I did!), try them!

Except that I believe he wasn't, given the route, it sounds like Touratech Tommy was leading the group!

Route from Google Maps timeline looks like this, sometimes it makes a hash of the record if there is lack of GSM coverage but it is good enough.......

Attachments

• Bunclody Spin 05MAR20.JPG
    Bunclody Spin 05MAR20.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 204

Back
Top Bottom