Helmet regs - Proposed ECE 22.06 changes by UN

wessie

Reaction score
After 20 years, new proposed helmet regs to catch up with technology ECE 22.06 (nothing to do with EU)

http://www.fema-online.eu/website/index.php/2020/02/27/new-helmet-rules/

"Modular helmets – Helmets equipped with a movable or detachable protective lower face cover, will be tested with or without chin guard in position."

Should that be with AND without ?

If I read the accessories bit right, it means you won't be able use a helmet cam unless originally tested (fitted) by the manufacturer. Not that I would of course.

"Modular helmets – Helmets equipped with a movable or detachable protective lower face cover, will be tested with or without chin guard in position."

If I read the accessories bit right, it means you won't be able use a helmet cam unless originally tested (fitted) by the manufacturer. Not that I would of course.

Yes, seems that way, which will affect the comms makers as well. Any accessory needs to be part of the type approval otherwise certification is invalid, which might affect an insurance claim if, for example, there is a claim for personal injury by your pillion.

Of course, these are draft proposals and there are bound to be lobbies from the likes of Go Pro, Sena etc.

Or a Bluetooth comms unit? What about schools / instructors?

I'll be amazed and in disbelief if it passes that cameras and comms end up being not allowed on/in helmets...

There can't be many lids on the market today that aren't made with recesses to take comms speakers?

Looks like Nexx had prior warning of 22.06... X.Wed has a camera mount already fitted...

https://www.nexx-helmets.com/en/helmets/x-wed2/plain/white/

In theory helmets with cameras / intercoms aren't technically legal as it is now. It's only because it isn't in black and white that it isn't forced. A helmet is approved now to a certain standard, and if modified in any way it isn't then road legal in theory - so all they're doing is putting this in writing to confirm this being the case. It will most likely see a rise in integrated intercoms or maybe partnerships with comms / camera companies for helmet manufacturers. I've had this discussion on this forum before with people telling me having a camera on your helmet / intercom on your helmet is absolutely fine even though it definitely makes the helmet less protective. Integrated comms are much safer than having something sticking out of your helmet. Or at least if you believe in the Arai R75 shape theory like myself :)

I will go back to the Arai philosophy of having smooth shell shapes with no angular bits that could dig in on impact. all their vent things are designed to come off easily in the event of road helmet interface.
If you stick a coms unit on the side that wont come off easily if needed then you render all the good work pointless

Now having said that i have a Sena unit on my Arai but am quite confident that it will fall off

I cannot see how speakers or anything else contained inside the shell makes any difference

Cameras and the like that are stuck on with 3M should be ok too

They will all go the Schuberth C4 Route with integrated comms in the end. Whether someone will create an industry wide standard fit is another matter.

Well thats bloggers out of the window then, no camera attachments on the front,side or top of the helmet :D

Back
Top Bottom