Annoying rattle

Rockeye

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has come across this on their 1200GS.

I’ve got an annoying rattle usually under acceleration, occasionally on deceleration but only in certain rev ranges, it sounds as if it is coming from under the tank and doesn’t sound engine related ( although could be wrong )

The bike is running well and pulls like a train, she’s got 76K on the clock and FSH, only seems to do it through a certain rev range though , anyone any ideas where I can start looking or come across this before?

At the last service (BMW) mentioned it to the technician who also thought it wasn’t engine related on his short ride but has no idea where to start looking ?

Thank in advance for any advice 👍

If you remove the rider, is the rattle still there?

Had this problem last year heading for Germany on holiday ,the rattle started at the bottom of our road but as the bike was running fine carried on .as you stated this continued all the way through the holiday and was in my mind for the duration ,I thought it was the sat nav cable which was routed under the tank , checked everything but it was still there when I got home I searched the whole bike and discovered that it was the oem spotlight that was touching the upper crashbar and was vibrating against it .check it out .

I had an unexplained rattle that wasn't constant, turned out I had put the exhaust clamp slightly out of correct orientation and the centre stand was making contact with it now and again.

I was thinking crash bars vibrating at one of the fixing points. But all the above good suggestions also...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Att aka HMOB is an expert in the annoying rattle. Throws it several times a week. Probably many other candidates aka victims who can offer advice...

Thanks all, that’s given me quite a few things to look at.

I’m away in France at the moment on a mini battlefield tour, I’ll experiment and see if I can find the b***er.

Thanks all, that’s given me quite a few things to look at.

I’m away in France at the moment on a mini battlefield tour, I’ll experiment and see if I can find the b***er.

Keep us posted

Its not your brake calliper rattling on the spokes is it ? :D

Rovert57 your a star as turns out that’s exactly what it was.

The right hand spotlight was vibrating at certain Rpm’s but sounded as if it was coming from underneath the tank. It seems to be the plastic body rattling, I tried to tighten up the casing bolts but they seem tight enough and the body isn’t touching the crash bar. I’ll secure it with a little tape then fix properly when I get home early next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions as I’ll bear those in mind for the future, brilliant site full of information and ideas:)

Rovert57 your a star as turns out that’s exactly what it was.

The right hand spotlight was vibrating at certain Rpm’s but sounded as if it was coming from underneath the tank. It seems to be the plastic body rattling, I tried to tighten up the casing bolts but they seem tight enough and the body isn’t touching the crash bar. I’ll secure it with a little tape then fix properly when I get home early next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions as I’ll bear those in mind for the future, brilliant site full of information and ideas:)

I've had both of these issues, with the spotlight itself vibrating itself round until it touches the crash bars to create an annoying rattle.

For the spotlight plastics coming loose and rattling I took apart the unit ( 4 x torq screws) then applied just a dab of silicon next to the screw holes on one of the halves then rebuilt, wiping off the excess squeezed out.

It seems to be that internal plastic sections crack around the screwholes.

I only used a dab as you may need to strip in the future to replace the bulbs etc.

I had tried a couple of alternatives first, like a small rubber washer, but found the silicon seemed to be the best approach.

Good luck with the fix

Regards

Dazlove

it sounds as if it is coming from under the tank and doesn’t sound engine related

Sure about the source?
Have you checked your mirrors?

I’ll try the silicone fix as back home now and going to give the old girl a good clean and brush up.

I think the right hand mirror may have a little play now you mention it just where the glass sits in the plastic so will have a gander at that also. I may buy some new mirrors with a modern more angled look as on the newer GS.

Does any know the mirror thread size -are they 10mm as on most bikes or an odd size being BMW ?

may have a little play now you mention it

Mine are both gone. They rattle like there is no tomorrow. Worth a check.

On mine the seat started squeaking now.

Ha ha,

Just ordered some adapters to go from1.25-1.5 thread and will fit new mirrors once they arrive so at least that’s one rattle sorted ��

Had this problem last year heading for Germany on holiday ,the rattle started at the bottom of our road but as the bike was running fine carried on .as you stated this continued all the way through the holiday and was in my mind for the duration ,I thought it was the sat nav cable which was routed under the tank , checked everything but it was still there when I got home I searched the whole bike and discovered that it was the oem spotlight that was touching the upper crashbar and was vibrating against it .check it out .
I had the same issue on my 2010 GSA. Simple fix. But boy was it frustrating tracking it down.

The mirrors are now replaced and just need to take the slots off and rebuild them to eliminate the rattles now and we are good to go:)

The right mirror was making a heck of a noise which was being masked by the spotlight I think.

The mirrors are now replaced and just need to take the slots off and rebuild them to eliminate the rattles now and we are good to go:)

The right mirror was making a heck of a noise which was being masked by the spotlight I think.
Remind me. How were the mirrors making noises ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I think the glass becomes slightly loose in its plastic housing.

from my G8 ThinQ

YEs, the glass detaches from the plastic housing and rotates (rattling) while your ride.

Back
Top Bottom