OMG another special tool needed, any life hacks

monster-mash

Reaction score
G/S re mounting my drive unit to the drive shaft with new nuts washers etc imagine my delight when I found that a 12mm multi point socket fits the nut perfectly :) all but the one behind the shock :barf . I don't really want to chop my socket down to fit in the little gap nor do i want to rag the nut by trying to tighten it up from a angled fit

Any other ideas please

Wera Joker 12 point ratchet spanner?

Ok Guys thanks, nope no tool kit will have to buy a spanner then or find a old socket to butcher.

So if a standard hex nut fits why does BMW fit these special one’s?

I’ve never noticed an access issue just using a standard 12mm ring spanner.

So if a standard hex nut fits why does BMW fit these special one’s?

I’ve never noticed an access issue just using a standard 12mm ring spanner.

Sorry for the late reply but from what i can gather there's not a lot of room between nut and drive shaft housing, Std nut has a thicker side wall than the BMW OEMs where there is just enough room to get a correct fitting socket/ring spanner in.
That's what it looks like to me anyway

Buy the stainless hex head bolts from Chris shaw stainless and you can use a standard open ended spanner or socket and torque them to spec.

I had to file the shaft down a little prior to powder coating as it was way too tight to even fit the ring spanner from the tool kit to remove the standard nuts. Needed some relief.

45fdad1453ac87b708fcd769422b7ef1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has the BMW 12 point nuts , a bit of a nightmare to get into.
A ring spanner ground down on the outside does the trick.
I should have bought the hex stainless , would have been easier.

The original tool kit includes a very slim 12mm ring spanner, it gets into lots of places

Back
Top Bottom