Info required on Metalworking lathes

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if I've got the right forum, but here goes. Many years ago I acquired an old 1941 Atlas lathe from Buckingham of this parish. Its been great fun, but sadly, it is now on its last legs and I'm thinking in terms of a replacement. I'm not a prolific user, I just make spacers and little widgets, but I do enjoy it. My pockets aren't deep enough for a decent s/hand Myford but there are a few companies like Machine Mart etc who knock out small lathes for £500-£600. Are they any good? I know you only get what you pay for, but are these things value for money or would I be better off trying to source something second-hand? I would appreciate any advice.

No idea is the short answer but my old man was a time served engineer. He bought a new mmart type millar and spent ages correcting the intrinsic errors in it, but he was pedantic. Are you sure yr atlas lathe is beyond recovery. One dodge on old lathes was to mount the tools upside down and run the chuck in reverse!

Talk to Tony, turbo helpful, may even help find your old one a good home

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Usual disclaimers, just a satisfied customer

I’d much rather a tatty old Myford than a Warco or machine mart cheapo Chinese thing.

Atb
Simon

Back
Top Bottom