Oiling chain on 1290 SAS

Rod

Reaction score
OK OK :blast

But....you can't get at the inside of it.......any tips, how do you guys do it ?

I got a small straw that fits the nozzle of my chain lube can and used this to spray the inside of the chain as it runs under the swinging arm without the risk of losing digits

So, asking about crash bars.... fair question and you got fair answers :thumb2

How to oil a chain? Really?? Feck off, this is not the WC section, this is the hard, mean, bastard, Ready To Race section :)

Andres

OK OK :blast

But....you can't get at the inside of it.......any tips, how do you guys do it ?

Get a soft cloth - and a rubber glove... soak the cloth in lube and gently rotate the rear wheel whilst embracing the chain on the lower run...

Do not do this with engine running.....

HTH

Get a soft cloth - and a rubber glove... soak the cloth in lube and gently rotate the rear wheel whilst embracing the chain on the lower run...

HTH

What the hell is 'embracing the chain on the lower run'? And, whilst wearing a rubber glove?? :eek:

Andres

HTH

Ooh, you’ve got me all moist!

HTH
A mate used to do similar to this on his 750/4 F2, but stoooopidly used to have the engine running and the bike in 1st gear.
Got one of his pinkies too close to the rear sprocket one day, sprocket grabbed it and when it came out the top side it was minus the end :D

A mate used to do similar to this on his 750/4 F2, but stoooopidly used to have the engine running and the bike in 1st gear.
Got one of his pinkies too close to the rear sprocket one day, sprocket grabbed it and when it came out the top side it was minus the end :D

Mate of mine use to do the same thing, i kept telling him it would end in tears, unfortunately it did, he lost 3 fingers :blast

I bought this the other month.

https://www.greaseninja.com/Chain-Lube-Accessory.html

Its a bit fiddly to get the applicator to sit correctly (because you have to bend the straw and its prone to pinging off the can), but once you've got it right, it worked very well :thumb2

<iframe width="966" height="543" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ruyuMBg1EQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lube it from the outside. It still spreads around to the inside.

Then, ahem, *embrace* it with a microfibre and rotate the wheel to remove excess. There are guards fitted that prevent tangling fingers with teeth.

The real question, of course, is what oil?

Christ on a stick, it's just a fecking chain, how complicated can it be? Boys and their toys eh!

:jes

Sorry.

As you were :kissy2

Andres

Actually Mr Smarty Pants it works well! (I'll give you boys and toys though !).

:boobies

I fitted a Tutoro and its amazing - simple to fit - no need for any bike vacuum or power connection and it just works. I'm using up my Scottoil stocks in it. I still clean my chain of course - paraffin takes care of that form me.

Back
Top Bottom