why does my Nav5 end up doing this?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Out today with the Nav 5 on but not doing anything, just watching the roads go buy etc, but noticed it always had me on the road 30ft to the right if there was one?... also, when I get home it does this?... whilst following a route it appears okay, just when its not it goes a bit mad... any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200308_173028.jpg
    20200308_173028.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 274
indeed.. thats what it looks like... but why?... all very strange :nenau

Two separate things, I think.

Here’s my guesses as to why:

1. As to why your device is ‘always’ (ie. every time you use it) showing you 30’ to the right? It possibly means that its ability to calculate your position accurately is on the way out. Go for a couple more decent length rides, maybe one where you follow a route, and see if it ‘always’ happens again.

2. The great mass of blue around your house, is an accumulated track log, accumulating (not surprisingly) around where you live. If you live somewhere (as I do, in a mews) with an intermittent or sometimes weak satellite signal, the device may see itself as moving and record the track log accordingly, too. It’s not in itself sinister. Mix in that your device is maybe having difficulties calculating its position correctly, you’ll get a mass of lines. Clear your track history and they will all go away.

PS ‘Always’ is an awful lot. You only seem to have encountered the 30’ positional deviation from the road this one time.

Looks like a typical ride around Normandy, to me. :D

You know that's showing your travel history....
Go to APPS/ TRACKS (the wheel) Choose the ACTIVE tab then click on the 3 lines at the top left. Click on CLEAR TRAVEL HISTORY and all the blue lines will go away.
Somewhere there is an option to turn off Travel History but I can't find it right now.
Rgds
Dave

when following a road is the nav zoomed in to its max or is it zoomed out if out try zooming in a bit and see if it improves, the mass of lines would more likely be where you have been the most and that would include walking with the sat nav on. not forgeting that it may take the nav a while to lock on to sats so it would straight line the route from switch on to sat lock

Thanks All for your replies... 'always' was on the trip yesterday. It's not done it before. But where there was a road running along side the one I was on, it would put me on it.. Then it typically came back to the right road if there was nothing either side.
The lines all over the place could be a weak signal where I live I'd guess. i've not been in all those directions for sure as I'd be up grass banking and so on (never in your own back yard ;) )
Zoomed in as it is, I don't usually have it like that so this could be an issue for sure.

When you say 'position accurately is on the way out'.. can they fail over time?

Become less sensative due to surroundings, (high buildings valleys things like that) maybe or drift off, or fail alltogether. The road it put you on would that be a road you asked it to take,as in take me from a to b the quickest way, and you decided to take the other road.

Or you haven’t got it set to “snap to road”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks All for your replies... 'always' was on the trip yesterday. It's not done it before. But where there was a road running along side the one I was on, it would put me on it.. Then it typically came back to the right road if there was nothing either side.
The lines all over the place could be a weak signal where I live I'd guess. i've not been in all those directions for sure as I'd be up grass banking and so on (never in your own back yard ;) )
Zoomed in as it is, I don't usually have it like that so this could be an issue for sure.

When you say 'position accurately is on the way out'.. can they fail over time?

OK, we now know several things, I think.

1. On the day it happened, you were not riding a route per-se, you were just riding along. You noticed (presumably when zoomed right in) that the cursor had you riding along, not on the road you were on but on one running parallel, apparently 30’ away. This phenomenon stopped when there was no road parallel to the one you were riding. I guess this means the device then behaved normally, or did it have you riding 30’ away through a field, continuously?

2. It has happened on one ride. See if it happens again, please. If it does, does it also do it if you ride a pre-set route that is say, take me from A to B, A being home and B being somewhere say 20 miles away? If it does, is it continuous? In short, we need to work out if it was a one of glitch (exacerbated perhaps if you were maybe zoomed right in) riding along with a weakfish signal, or if it really is ‘always’ happening. If it is, under what circumstances. I chose 20 miles as that is a reasonable enough distance, 20 yards down the road ain’t going to do it.

3. We know the cause of the mass scribbled tracks, all accumulated around your house. Deleting the track log will remove them. They are not in themselves sinister..... or shouldn’t be.

To answer your additional question, I had a much used Nav IV which lost its ability to track satellites / display my position correctly. It was long out of warranty but Garmin agreed to exchange (if I recall correctly) if I made a modest contribution from my side. We don’t see masses of reports on these pages of the same thing occurring, so I guess it’s quite rare. It happened first overlooking Geneva and then got steadily worse as we headed back towards Luxembourg over the next few days. Eventually it would not pick up any signals at all, even when stationary in the middle of open countryside. I put it away and took my maps and paper and pencil out, Boy Scout style.

PS I see an almost identical massed set of scribble around where I live and often when I go away. Satellite signals and the ability to track them in a comparatively basic device are not perfect. The device doesn’t always see all the available satellites and there are not always enough to be seen to get a complete picture. The signals bounce off buildings and sometimes off solid rock. I get it a reasonable amount where I live in central London in a mews. I sometimes have to walk maybe 20 yards to get a signal at all, most often when I am turning on a brand new device, hunting satellites for the first time, the device’s default position being in Taiwan.There is also a total blind spot about 600 yards away, where not even my phone works reliably.

You can see the sometimes unreliable satellite fixes if you look at tracks that a device records. Sometimes these will be offset from the actual road by some distance. Sometimes the track will have lost all its signal data for a short distance. You sometimes see it when the screen suddenly ‘snaps’, the bike’s cursor position ‘jumping’ as it sort of catches up with itself or, if it loses itself, you sometimes get an off route warning, when you are not off route at all. Most of the time this really does not matter, particularly as few of us ever ride along with the screen zoomed right in or our eyes glued to it.... sometimes you just have to do a little work to help the dumb (but really quite clever) device out.

Thanks Guy's.. I will try a few of the things you are suggesting here and report back if not fixed. TBH, there is a lot to the Nav5 I have no idea about so will try get a bit of time to get up to speed.
I'll delete the past track log's. I'm guessing that's why it shows 3 lines going up the road where the roadworks were at one time and I've gone on the other side of the road :thumb...

The running at the side mainly happened when there was a road there, but did happen once when it put me into a field? Maybe its not been fully charged and its only been a short run?...
Will try it again when its dry.
I do find it very complicated to use the thing. I'm planning the NC500 in April at the moment.. so I do need to get to grips with it...

Thanks again for your comments

Yup, if you ride up the other side of the road, say to go past roadworks, the blue track record will very probably show you doing just that. It’s part of the paranoia that hits some blokes on bikes, who love the top speed and lean angle recordings but fear the police will find them.

The state of the device’s charge should not make a significant (or indeed any) difference at all. Either it will power up and work (properly and within its limits) or it will stay off.

The devices are what I would call, “Easy... with complications”. They are sort of plug and play, but sort of not, if you get my drift. The thing is just to get used to them, frustration does not make a dumb device listen to you, being patient does. Do you intend to plot your own routes for the NC500 or just as the device to take you from A to B?

There are several very good self-help videos on YouTube and several good threads on UKGSer, which should help you. Suddenly it should all click and you’ll be wondering quite what it was you were troubled by. Usage makes things easier, trust me.... Return to the forum if you get stuck, someone will probably know how to help you.... and we ain’t all Einstein, trust me again.

Beaver, I’m in Bradford BD2, I have a reasonably good understanding of Basecamp and the BMW Nav, I have a VI, and sold a Nav V just before Xmas. If you want to call round mine, or me to call round to yours I’m happy to try help you.

Rich

Hi Richard, that is a great offer. Where abouts are you in BD2.. If I could take a hour of your time I'm sure I could learn a lot! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom