Why is my BaseCamp / Mapsource displaying this?

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Damn...I’ll stop complaining

Attachments

• F03F3FD5-9AC5-4077-8271-530DD3D46989.jpg
    F03F3FD5-9AC5-4077-8271-530DD3D46989.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 195

I have started you a fresh thread as to why BaseCamp / Mapsource is displaying what you are seeing in the picture. Your post was mixed in with a thread about some bod’s Nav V always showing him as 30’ away from the road he was riding.

Richard

Question 1

I assume you are questioning the bold straight magenta lines?

Question 2

Is the bold magenta line a route you have created yourself?

If so, was it created in BaseCamp / Mapsource or in something else? Or....

Is it a track that you have converted into a route?

Let’s ignore the straight blue line for now, as the answer(s) might cover that one as well.

check the waypoints list as you seem to have a waypoint out of sequence. Or just click on the out of sequence waypoint and move to the right part of the magenta route. (your query cant be that simple, can it?)
As to why there is a "caravan" symbol, beats me , but try selecting M/cycle and see what happens!

Good area to ride, by the way!

Question 1

I assume you are questioning the bold straight magenta lines?

Question 2

Is the bold straight magenta line a route you have created yourself?

If so, was it created in BaseCamp / Mapsource or in something else? Or....

Is it a track that you have converted into a route?

Let’s ignore the straight blue line for now, as the answer(s) might cover that one as well.

Thanks Richard.
1. Yes, bold straight magenta line.
2. It is a track recorded in Nav V converted to a route in BC on PC. There are no way points created beforehand on this route and the saved route called Caravan.

See my last post on my Thread re trouble converting a track to a route

G&T,

The conversion of the track into a route seems to be working OK for the bulk of the bold magenta line route, agreed?

The two strange straight lines, the first running east to west, the second west to east, link what I would call ‘spurious points’ that, whilst they appear (to BaseCamp at least) to be a part of the track and therefore need converting and joining together, are not. Hence the straight lines. I see it on some tracks that I import from third parties, like Tourenfahrer magazine.

You can:

A. Try Paul08’s suggestion; let us know if it works, please

B. Try to edit out the erroneous points. Let us know again, please

C. Trace over the route or track, thereby creating a fresh final version. This latter method works well, especially when the track contains some mistakes made by the rider of the original, which I sometimes see on tracks which I have imported from third parties and (naturally enough) mistakes I have made myself

Trace over the track would be my call aswell, then check its going where you expect it to, most of the time when the above occurs you need to zoom right in on that part of the track thats giving the issue to see the problem, there is normally something thats trying to make a route go where it can not go but a track can.

Tracks recorded by a GPS, whilst they are pretty good, are not always exact. They depend on a number of factors, not least the accuracy and strength of the satellites’ signals and the device’s ability to record the points in real time. Inevitably, glitches do occur, particularly when the device’s ability to be accurate within say 5 metres is degraded by any number of factors. If several erroneous track points align, then the dumb software will do its best to join them up, usually with a straight line, as there is no breadcrumb trail between them.

Ok, so I thought I’d have a play with the route first.

I converted from the route to a track as there doesn’t seem to be any shaping points on the route. (My Nav V is not set up to strip those out), but maybe is just one of those things.

With the track I have all the shaping points and I tried to find the spurious points with the eraser, but it also got rid of the lower half of the track. No problem, as I used the insert point feature to then recreate the lower part of the track. Unfortunately you can’t just drop a point on the road and it follows the road like creating a route.

So I thought if I get the track as near as possible and I create a route from the track and later optimise it so it finds the road - nope. See pic of track. Creating a route it stays like that.

So that just leaves me the only option to retrace the whole route. Or did I miss something?

Attachments

• 79B976FC-B5D1-439E-B1E0-FDD931F6ED5B.jpg
    79B976FC-B5D1-439E-B1E0-FDD931F6ED5B.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 130
Tracks generally have a start and end point only with what can be described as a trail of breadcrumbs in between. G&T could you possibly upload the track so we can take a look at it, if its small enough upload to here if not try drop box .

Those straight lines are usually because you’ve switched the device on, it’s started tracking, then you’ve moved to another location and switched it on again- it just jumps straight to your new location.
Use view track in the details page and see where the stray waypoints are then delete them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those straight lines are usually because you’ve switched the device on, it’s started tracking, then you’ve moved to another location and switched it on again- it just jumps straight to your new location.
Use view track in the details page and see where the stray waypoints are then delete them.

That’s interesting. We did stop on the bike for a cuppa. So Nav switches off. But bike didn’t move and when switched on maybe the issue. Or satellites don’t pick it up immediately. I’ll check location. But still don’t know why it would create a straight line to a point miles away.

Regarding using track view to find stray ‘shaping points’, how do you know they are stray? On creating the Track from Route, I locate what I think is the nearest problem point and delete. But that can delete some of the track I want to keep. Are you saying you can easily identify the stray point in a list?

Leedude, sure...let me play again with it tomorrow and if no luck will upload the file.

I have to say all of this is quite interesting as I need to understand and easily eradicate lines if they happen in future.

Cheers
Glenn

You could faff around with this for some time trying to create a route from a track, you know roughly where the route should pass through or what roads you want to use wouldnt it be quicker or simpler just to build a new route?

I get it that you should be able to build a route from a track, the reality is, it's usually problematic.

That’s interesting. We did stop on the bike for a cuppa. So Nav switches off. But bike didn’t move and when switched on maybe the issue. Or satellites don’t pick it up immediately. I’ll check location. But still don’t know why it would create a straight line to a point miles away.

Regarding using track view to find stray ‘shaping points’, how do you know they are stray? On creating the Track from Route, I locate what I think is the nearest problem point and delete. But that can delete some of the track I want to keep. Are you saying you can easily identify the stray point in a list?

Leedude, sure...let me play again with it tomorrow and if no luck will upload the file.

I have to say all of this is quite interesting as I need to understand and easily eradicate lines if they happen in future.

Cheers
Glenn

It’s very easy to clean up those stray points. I get those lines often if I’ve had the gps on at home, then stuck the bike in the van to the start point with the gps off, then switched it on.

Latest: I spent an hour investigating the straight lines and weirdly it wasn’t just as easy as clicking and deleting the last shaping point before the beginning and end of the straight line. The Nav had also created a duplicate track also as part of the straight line over the track I wanted.

So too much faff to separate - I redrew the route.

Garmin really is like a box of chocolates :D

Back
Top Bottom