Can anyone recommend best tyre inflator/air pump to take on tour?

Good quality double action bicycle bike pump, small, light and no electrickery required.

The problem with hand pumps arises when loaded with luggage ; you have to take panniers off to get close enough to the pump/valve to operate. Hassle.......Small compressor every time: thumby:

Another vote for the Motopressor. It's the smallest electric compressor you will find and works great. Just make sure you have a separate pressure gauge as it doesn't have one.

But it will get you out of trouble when you need it, and it's so small that you won't notice you have it with you. Mine is packed in a BA Club World amenities kit bag, which is pretty small.

I used it extensively last year over the course of a week when I had a slow puncture on the way to Portugal and it paid for itself and more.

I can plug this into my dash on the GSA, but which one is best? What do I need to look out for?
I’ve got a couple of trips planned and don’t want to be caught out.
Thanks

Buy the cheapest electric tyre pump you can find in Halford’s / motor factor’s / anywhere.

Reasonably carefully remove the usually huge plastic casing, to expose the small compressor inside. You’ll find it looks remarkably like the one in this picture:

https://www.adventurebikewarehouse.com/MotoPressor-Tyre-Pump-Compact-Light-Weight

The only significant difference is that you’ll not have spent £35 on it.

Keep it wrapped in a bit of cloth or put it in a small Tupperware box.

Job done.

As usual great advice. I would likely have been guilty of assuming I could plug directly into the dash as BMW provided a power outlet. I don't use an optimate on the bike, as I plug into the dash using the BMW Canbus trickle charger.
So I'll take a look at the kit you guys use and see if they come with fittings for the battery so I can simply plug in when needed. That sounds like the way to go.

Having said that I was booked to go to Assen for the MGP but at this rate won't be going :(

I'm booked in too and still hope to be there!

Buy the cheapest electric tyre pump you can find in Halford’s / motor factor’s / anywhere.

Reasonably carefully remove the usually huge plastic casing, to expose the small compressor inside. You’ll find it looks remarkably like the one in this picture:

https://www.adventurebikewarehouse.com/MotoPressor-Tyre-Pump-Compact-Light-Weight

The only significant difference is that you may find it's not man enough when you really need it to re-inflate a flat.

Keep it wrapped in a bit of cloth or put it in a small Tupperware box.

Job done.

Fixed :augie

I didn't pay that for mine, but it didn't have all the fancy gubbins. Mr W is, however correct in principle, but start with a decent cased pump, not a cheap one.

Rocky Creek
41AqloBFIaL._AC_.jpg

+1 for Rocky Creek. Brilliant simple pump and they do a good little multitool for puncture repairs and it'll all fit in one hand.

Motopressor + the associated gauge thingy - no going back to an Airman; mine failed just out of warranty. Very little use in my year of ownership.

I'm impatient and prefer to rely on myself rather than others if I'm able to do so. I waited several hours to be recovered by a recovery company once when the turbo on a fairly new BMW went bang which was hugely frustrating. I wouldn't want to wait a long time to be rescued from a flat tyre.

Ive had a rocky creek for years now and its been great. Dropped it in a muddy puddle and has still worked ever since!

Hey all, so I bought a Rocky Creel MotoPressor. I presume connecting the leads direct to the battery does not create any issues with canbus or other electrical gremlins?

Hey all, so I bought a Rocky Creel MotoPressor. I presume connecting the leads direct to the battery does not create any issues with canbus or other electrical gremlins?

the only thing that might happen is that your battery becomes too flat to start the bike as it can take quite some time to inflate a very flat tyre, but you will not damage anything

Back
Top Bottom