Can anyone recommend best tyre inflator/air pump to take on tour?

TOG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I can plug this into my dash on the GSA, but which one is best? What do I need to look out for?
I’ve got a couple of trips planned and don’t want to be caught out.
Thanks

The stabdard accessory socket won't run a compressor - the canbus limits current to 5A

I use a version of this RAC one. The tube fits on the stubby valves used on my XR & RS, typical of the valves used on TPS wheels
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rac-compact-air-compressor-12v/1371r

I just use the croc clips but the lead has the same SAE connector as newer Optimates so if you have an SAE fly lead, you can use that

Two things to look for: current draw of the pump vs current capability of the socket. Make draw is less than capability.

Size. Where do you plan to keep it? Will it fit there.

I think the various brands are much of a muchness.

I have an Airman something or other (Sparrow?). Max current draw is 8a I think so it won’t work from the bikes on board sockets. I connect to a cigarette adapter that connects to an Optimate flylead. It’s lived in my pannier bracket mounted tool case for nearly 6 years and used about half a dozen times on the bike. As well as that it has inflated a couple of car tyres from flat.

Would you consider running a power lead direct to the battery. Then you have the option of any pump - and battery charger.
I have a €12 pump bought in a petrol station. Had to change the cig lighter plug to a DIN.
Pump is good. Even managed to seal the bead on my rear tyre with it.

I have had a number of compressors. None were up to the job. Now have a Cyclepump from Metal Mule. If you want the best then this is it.

AA-For-the-road-ahead.jpg

I travel with an Airman one and have used it a few times and it always works fine.

You will need a separate 12V outlet that comes, fused, from the battery though.

I travel with an Airman one and have used it a few times and it always works fine.

You will need a separate 12V outlet that comes, fused, from the battery though.

I once travelled with a soldier......

I've had one of these for several years and used it many times. Looking at the link, it seems to have 'evolved' into quite a complex kit, but just the pump, with a DIN 12v plug attached, is capable of inflating a rear tyre from flat to 40psi in a few minutes.

The cylinder does get hot enough to burn you and mine is without a shield over the drive gears, so I have to be careful not to mince or fry my fingers, but it's the smallest and most powerful pump I've seen.

https://www.adventurebikewarehouse.com/MotoPressor-Tyre-Pump-Compact-Light-Weight

I've had one of these for several years and used it many times. Looking at the link, it seems to have 'evolved' into quite a complex kit, but just the pump, with a DIN 12v plug attached, is capable of inflating a rear tyre from flat to 40psi in a few minutes.

The cylinder does get hot enough to burn you and mine is without a shield over the drive gears, so I have to be careful not to mince or fry my fingers, but it's the smallest and most powerful pump I've seen.

https://www.adventurebikewarehouse.com/MotoPressor-Tyre-Pump-Compact-Light-Weight

Fantastic bits of kit, I've had the dubious pleasure of using mine several times

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_141257.jpg
    IMG_20180727_141257.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 364
As usual great advice. I would likely have been guilty of assuming I could plug directly into the dash as BMW provided a power outlet. I don't use an optimate on the bike, as I plug into the dash using the BMW Canbus trickle charger.
So I'll take a look at the kit you guys use and see if they come with fittings for the battery so I can simply plug in when needed. That sounds like the way to go.

Having said that I was booked to go to Assen for the MGP but at this rate won't be going :(

Another vote for the motopressor linked above, with similar warnings, particularly on heat, and when putting it away after.

Also, clamping to battery is best, as the optimate leads often have low amp fuse, same as canbus, unless you specifically swap it out for higher.

Thanks all, sounds like a no brainer what to do from here.

The stabdard accessory socket won't run a compressor - the canbus limits current to 5A

I use a version of this RAC one. The tube fits on the stubby valves used on my XR & RS, typical of the valves used on TPS wheels
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rac-compact-air-compressor-12v/1371r

I just use the croc clips but the lead has the same SAE connector as newer Optimates so if you have an SAE fly lead, you can use that

Wrong! If the compressor uses less than 5A it will work from the standard accessory socket.

I use this one and it works from the accessory socket without any problems: http://www.dynaplug.com/microproinflator.html

Ian

Wrong! If the compressor uses less than 5A it will work from the standard accessory socket.

I use this one and it works from the accessory socket without any problems: http://www.dynaplug.com/microproinflator.html

Ian

Perhaps I should have said "most" or "reasonably priced"

Your recommendation is not far off 5A at the maximum rating quoted for 40PSI. I need 42 PSI for my bikes. I imagine the inrush current will spike above 5A when you turn on the device, unless it has some magic smoke to limit this, so could trip the canbus.

I would still advocate going direct to the battery with an adequate lead for sustained current draw of 4.8A or more. The accessory socket & wiring on a GS is going to get quite warm if inflating a flat tyre as it is not designed for sustained current draw at the upper limit.

Perhaps I should have said "most" or "reasonably priced"

Your recommendation is not far off 5A at the maximum rating quoted for 40PSI. I need 42 PSI for my bikes. I imagine the inrush current will spike above 5A when you turn on the device, unless it has some magic smoke to limit this, so could trip the canbus.

I would still advocate going direct to the battery with an adequate lead for sustained current draw of 4.8A or more. The accessory socket & wiring on a GS is going to get quite warm if inflating a flat tyre as it is not designed for sustained current draw at the upper limit.

I admit its more expensive but I did purchase mine a few years ago and it wasn't that expensive.
I regularly use it for my tyres (R1200GS LC) so 42 PSI and 36 PSI, it has never tripped the can bus yet.

Its also very compact and I carry it on the bike along with a puncture repair kit.

Regards

Ian

Back
Top Bottom