Keeping bike gear in a shed

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

2 years ago I finally managed to get a shed built to house the bike, I went for this:

keter-factor-shed-8-x-11-p87-542_image.jpg

It's been up for almost 2 years now and never let a drop of water in. When I got it I enlarged the holes a little in the gable end vents to ensure a good flow of air through. I've never ever seen a drop of moisture or condensation inside the shed aside from a little on the engine casings of the bike, otherwise it's been bone dry.

My missus asked me if I could move my BikerTidy into the shed with our lids etc on it and my initial reaction was to say no, as I didn't want it getting musky etc but has anyone got any comments about doing this? Other than the obvious "grow a pair and tell her no" lol

It would be good to move the kit in there but I don't want it to get ruined obviously.

Thanks

This is how it starts.... first you're asked to move your clothes into the shed.. then a couple items of furniture,... then yourself.

Hi all,

2 years ago I finally managed to get a shed built to house the bike, I went for this:

I know WMB's are agricultural, but............

I wouldn't do it, I keep my race leathers/boots etc in a brick garage with central heating that ticks over to keep it damp free. They still smell fausty.

Andres

I wouldn't do it, I keep my race leathers/boots etc in a brick garage with central heating that ticks over to keep it damp free. They still smell fausty.

Andres

Thanks mate, I had a feeling that would be the answer :)

I keep all my kit in an unheated (but integral) garage with a conventional an up and over door. In 15 years it has not had one bit of damp. I am in central London but it’s not the Sahara.

I don’t keep any bike clothing in the garage for a few reasons

Main one is ......MICE

I don’t keep any bike clothing in the garage for a few reasons

Main one is ......MICE

My neighbour kept (note past tense) his kit in his garage. The mice were particularly fond of the taste of his almost new boots (no panties). His kit now lives in his house.

jeez she's the boss in your house then.....play on it, your old bike gear won't last ten mins in the shed, but if you buy some new stuff which is goretex and shed resistant,it will last, if she says no....put her in the shed and lock it up

I keep 60% of my gear hung in garage, there’s too much for the house. My main helmet two pairs of gloves, boots, and suit that I’m wearing live indoors, if the garage was warmer I’d keep it all out there.

Tin shed, I’d be keeping inside

I keep all of my bike gear in the house, other than once pair of boots that live in the garage, on a shelf up high. I wouldn’t want those in the house! :eek:

Hi, my gear got a bit mouldy last winter in a decent block built garage. this year I left a dehumidifier running 24/7 draining into the sink. All gear in top condition.

Problem is you're putting kit in there that will be sweaty since you've just worn it. Cue mould and other stuff building up.

My leather gear was musty and smelly in an unheated bedroom over a winter. In a shed? - no way in Winter, maybe in summertime. I'd want the helmet stored indoors always.
Top tip for freshening-up leathers. Spray lightly with diluted vinegar inside and out, wipe and hang in the sunshine.

It would be good to move the kit in there but I don't want it to get ruined obviously.

Thanks

If that window is south facing you might be ok, well apart from mice!

Andres

Are the skins on the drum kit ok? :jes

Maybe insulate the shed but unless you definitely know mice cant get in i wouldn't do it.

Hi all,

It's been up for almost 2 years now and never let a drop of water in. When I got it I enlarged the holes a little in the gable end vents to ensure a good flow of air through. I've never ever seen a drop of moisture or condensation inside the shed aside from a little on the engine casings of the bike, otherwise it's been bone dry.

My missus asked me if I could move my BikerTidy into the shed with our lids etc on it and my initial reaction was to say no, as I didn't want it getting musky etc but has anyone got any comments about doing this? Other than the obvious "grow a pair and tell her no" lol

Thanks

NO,NO and thrice NO, at work some bright spark (of a boss) decided that we had to store our Public Order kit in a secure garage in the rear yard of the nick, place was block built with a secure roller shutter door , however, rodents managed to get in , they caused £1000's of damage in a matter of a few months.

Guess what they love to eat helmet interiors , anything leather ie boots and equipment belts and best of all hard foam body armour ................so basically any bike kit

Back
Top Bottom