R1150R gearing

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can someone please let me know whether the 1150GS range has the same overdrive 6th gear as the 1150R? I bloody love the 6th gear. I get that the gearing lower down might be slightly different so if I decided to swap, that would be a big factor
Also, is their a difference in height between the 1150 GS and GSA ?

Can someone please let me know whether the 1150GS range has the same overdrive 6th gear as the 1150R?

I do not think that it was not an option from factory for 1150R whereas the "Enduro box" had a lower 1st and a Higher 6th gear was for the GSA

I bloody love the 6th gear. I get that the gearing lower down might be slightly different so if I decided to swap, that would be a big factor
|

hard to exactly understand what you are saying here? Does your bike only have 5 gears??? If its an 1150 then it it should have 6, End off story ??

R1150R were a fairly high geared set up from the start Check your cruising RPM at 70 with someone with a GS

Also, is their a difference in height between the 1150 GS and GSA ?

Yes GSA is taller I think Standard it was around 40 to 50 mm taller but one guy a 6 ft 9 Journalist here ordered one with an Extra tall seat and TKC 80s as well

I could "just" touch the ground on tippy toes when I Was doing the PDI certainly the tallest GSA I ever PDI'd

OK, looking at cycle ergo, the 1150gsa is taller than both the 1150gs and the 1150R. Too tall for me.
As for the gearing, the website provided shows that they all use the same box with an option to be either road, sport or enduro.

My 1150R 6th gear (top gear) runs at around 3000 rpm at 70. Love it. It's a real overdrive. I am aware of the shorter first gear but that doesn't phase me. I like that when I hit top gear, its just low revs comfy. (fyi - The 1200gs twin cam I had would be around 5000rpm if I remember correctly). What I am trying to work out is whether the 1150GS has a similar overdrive top gear, otherwise I won't be swapping. Not looking to mix and match gearing etc, just love the 1150R overdrive option.

So if the 1150gs came with that taller sixth gear as an option, how can I check (besides riding). How do I know, what questions do I ask

So if the 1150gs came with that taller sixth gear as an option, how can I check (besides riding). How do I know, what questions do I ask

a batch of 1999 to 2001 used to say "E" in the Rider info display instead of 6

They had a high 6th Every one I worked on with that usually managed an average of about 48 to 50 mpg whereas the std ones came in around 45 ish

Rumour has it that they were a cancelled order for Australia

Otherwise you need a bm dealer to check the frame number to see how the bike was ordered

a batch of 1999 to 2001 used to say "E" in the Rider info display instead of 6

My 2000 model has the E display (overdrive 6th) and is great on motorways, but it was frustrating when riding flat out as 5th would hit the rev limiter and E would slow down. I got around this by fitting an R1100S final drive which is taller than the standard GS one, so each gear is slightly longer. Now it doesn’t hit the rev limiter in 5th and E is still brilliant on the motorway. 1st is taller though so trickling through town traffic isn’t quite as easy, but it’s not a problem and, as I don’t use the bike off-road, I’m happy with the result.

OK, looking at cycle ergo, the 1150gsa is taller than both the 1150gs and the 1150R. Too tall for me.
As for the gearing, the website provided shows that they all use the same box with an option to be either road, sport or enduro.

My 1150R 6th gear (top gear) runs at around 3000 rpm at 70. Love it. It's a real overdrive. I am aware of the shorter first gear but that doesn't phase me. I like that when I hit top gear, its just low revs comfy. (fyi - The 1200gs twin cam I had would be around 5000rpm if I remember correctly). What I am trying to work out is whether the 1150GS has a similar overdrive top gear, otherwise I won't be swapping. Not looking to mix and match gearing etc, just love the 1150R overdrive option.

AFAIK the 1150R has never got the tall 6th. Mine is sligtly over 4000 RPM at 70 MPH.

I do not think that it was not an option from factory for 1150R

I bought my old R1150R from new, back in 2003 and I'm pretty sure the 6th overdrive was an optional.

OK, if you call a dealer and give the last 7 digits on the VIN they can see if the option was installed when ordered. Mine was indeed fitted with option 648 which is the overdrive gear. Just check future vin numbers for gearing if original is the answer
Solved..

I am not sure what the enduro is. I know that mine has the overdrive option (maybe they are the same). I am very happy with mine and would like the same in an 1150GS. I'll be making calls in a while asking for vin numbers and checking dealerships for the info re options installed/ordered on that bike. I like the overdrive function a lot...in case you missed it, see post 11

if its any help to add to this soup....

My Australian 2001 standard GS shows E in top gear (6th gear)
I think it has the standard gearbox as I think the gearbox options only became availble in later years.

Back
Top Bottom