Decoding engine and frame numbers

scooter paul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a R80 ST registered 1984. The engine and frame numbers do not match. Is this normal? The engine number is found on a milled area to the bottom left of the engine case when viewed from the left. Apparently this started in 1984 when previously the number was up by the dipstick. The only reference I can find online are from American websites and they only had the ST up to 1983. Using the information I can find the engine was made in the 35th week of 1983, presumably as a 1984 model?
It also has what appears to be a model code 80 24 C. Can anyone shed light as to wether this is the original engine or could be ? The full engine number is 83 3568** the last numbers omitted for security reasons.

Paul.

Met you at new lands last week.
My st was built in 83, and has the number near the dipstick. Engine and frame numbers match.

I think your st may have had an engine change at sometime if the frame & engine numbers differ.

Bubb

Paul.

Met you at new lands last week.
My st was built in 83, and has the number near the dipstick. Engine and frame numbers match.

I think your st may have had an engine change at sometime if the frame & engine numbers differ.

Bubb[/QUOTE
Good meeting you too and chatting about ST hybrids! Here’s mine. I’m still doing research. I’m sure I read somewhere that as well as the location of the engine number changing the numbering sequence changed too.

Attachments

• BF97D732-2C5C-4E20-AE17-2E52F5F11D0C.jpg
    BF97D732-2C5C-4E20-AE17-2E52F5F11D0C.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 104
This gives a great breakdown of how it works https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/IDnumbrs.htm
Vin code checker https://www.mdecoder.com/
Very useful link thanks and I have read it before because this is where I got the information that 1984 on bikes did not have matching engine and frame numbers and moreover the engine number was in the sequence year week engine number sequence ( four numbers) though interestingly some engines had week year number! All a bit of a puzzle. Main thing is the vin matches the frame number stamping and that’s correct in the V5c.

Back
Top Bottom