1150rt brake servo question...

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Question for the experienced please...;)
I've had my 1150rt since December 19 and have covered approx 2500 miles... I used to sell them in the early 2000s and rode them quite a bit then... This isn't a Q regarding servoectomys or the merits of the the brakes but one for folk used to the brakes...
I know the servo can fail etc but I have had another prob... Once near the start of ownership n twice last week the front brakes temporarily binded a caliper... Riding along normally not using the brakes and I feel the front brake binding until I stop to check... One caliper tight on the disc enough to blue the surface... 30 second later, some swearing and using brake to listen to servo and hey presto, it as released... Off we go again... Like I said... 3 times in 3 months and brakes were cleaned and checked over Christmas hol...

Is this a sevo relating issue of perhaps a brake bleed one...? Don't think it's a caliper issue as I have checked this and binding calipers don't usually release like that... Apart from that and the several other issues regarding the 1150s... Rattily tractors etc I like the bike and don't want a multicoloured LCD pcp fodder version...😉

Thanks in advance...👍

If it was a servo problem both brakes would be binding. It has to be a problem with the calliper or pipe. JJH

If it was a servo problem both brakes would be binding. It has to be a problem with the calliper or pipe. JJH

That was my 1st thought but the are free in less than a minute .. unless a pad tips or something... Had pistons stock before and they stay stuck... Pipes may be a look-see...😉

Hi Wrigsby.
This sounds like a possible breakdown of the hose lining. Or a contaminant in the hoses.
First question: Are these the origina; 'rubber' style hoses. If so, replace them.

Second question. Is there any sign of white PTFE plumbers tape on any of the bleed nipples? Some idiots fit this stuff. It is lethal, in as much as it 'flows'. When tightened up, it can flow into the caliper and then get stuck somewhere along the system.

3rd question. What state are the brake pads and pins in? if they are corroded this can lead to the kind of experiences you are experiencing.

4th question. Have you had the caliper off and looked ate the state of the pistons?

Hi Wrigsby.
This sounds like a possible breakdown of the hose lining. Or a contaminant in the hoses.
First question: Are these the origina; 'rubber' style hoses. If so, replace them.

Second question. Is there any sign of white PTFE plumbers tape on any of the bleed nipples? Some idiots fit this stuff. It is lethal, in as much as it 'flows'. When tightened up, it can flow into the caliper and then get stuck somewhere along the system.

3rd question. What state are the brake pads and pins in? if they are corroded this can lead to the kind of experiences you are experiencing.

4th question. Have you had the caliper off and looked ate the state of the pistons?

I checked the calipers after the 1st experience... Made sure pins were clean and pads a loose fit... Pistons moved in the main very freely and anything remotely sticky was cleaned... Not happened since but hoses are going to get a look at... The main thing is I wasn't using the brakes in the previous few miles on the 2nd n third occasion... Time will tell...😉

If you feel it happen again, just de-clutch and let the bike come to a halt under the action of the dragging brake. Without turning the ignition off, listen to see if the Servo is running (whirring). If you want you can kill the engine with the kill switch - but leave the ignition on so you don't disable the Servo motors.

Back
Top Bottom