ESA suspension unit required

Stehen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2011 1200 GSA and the front ESA suspension unit is leaking and I am not sure if buying a new one from a BMW dealer is the best answer or can mine be refurbed or a none BMW one off Ebay any one that can advise me please.

Firefox racing are your friends to search for, they do overhauls of esa units.

Iirc wilbers do a shock that can replace the standard esa unit shock.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

You need Denz0 of this parish. Sent him both mine on Monday and he’s sending them back in the morning fully refurbed.

Another vote for Firefox racing ( keighley) Refurbed 3 shocks for me now (different bikes) Last one cost £120 (non ESA) Think ESA refurb £190 ish

I was quoted by Firefox £250 for ESA. Denz0 £130 - quick turnaround.
He also fixed the electronics on it for £15 - I seem to remember.

Hello I have a 2011 1200 GSA and the front ESA suspension unit is leaking and I am not sure if buying a new one from a BMW dealer is the best answer or can mine be refurbed or a none BMW one off Ebay any one that can advise me please.
A new one from BMW is a truly insane amount of money. It includes the ESA motor which is probably fine, yet the more expensive part. You are effectively buying something you don’t need.

Most aftermarket replacements like Wilbers and Ohlins do not include the ESA motor which has to be moved from your old unit. Unless you have the equipment this is not easily done at home. (Ohlins do do a replacement that included their own esa motor, as do Tractive, which I believe is also branded as Touratech (or it might be the Ohlins one rebranded). Both these options are as expensive as BMW oem, although they will be a much better shock)

If you are contemplating replacing the front with an aftermarket shock then also do the rear. Your bike will feel transformed. I have Wilbers F&R on my 2011 GSA and its fantastic - although it took a while for the shocks to “run in”.

The cheapest and easiest is to send your front shock off for a refurb. But I would also consider doing the same for the rear at the same time or soon after.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP !

Thank you for your help I am amazed by the level of kindness on the site, its now refurbishment for me.

Thank you for your help I am amazed by the level of kindness on the site, its now refurbishment for me.

Saving yourself a heap of money, doing a good bit of recycling and giving work to one of our own.
Win. Win. Win.

A new one from BMW is a truly insane amount of money. It includes the ESA motor which is probably fine, yet the more expensive part. You are effectively buying something you don’t need.

Most aftermarket replacements like Wilbers and Ohlins do not include the ESA motor which has to be moved from your old unit. Unless you have the equipment this is not easily done at home. (Ohlins do do a replacement that included their own esa motor, as do Tractive, which I believe is also branded as Touratech (or it might be the Ohlins one rebranded). Both these options are as expensive as BMW oem, although they will be a much better shock)

If you are contemplating replacing the front with an aftermarket shock then also do the rear. Your bike will feel transformed. I have Wilbers F&R on my 2011 GSA and its fantastic - although it took a while for the shocks to “run in”.

The cheapest and easiest is to send your front shock off for a refurb. But I would also consider doing the same for the rear at the same time or soon after.

Having read this, I was intrigued about Tractive, which apparently, was set up by the original WP suspension people left behind in NL, before KTM moved WP to Austria. I put their address into my TomTom's wiggly route option yesterday, and upon arrival, one of the original WP folk / Tractive owners heard my bike, and came out for a chat. Because of the WuFlu fiasco, he couldn't show me inside their building, but he spent 20 minutes or so telling me about what they do, and their engineering, which encompasses very many technical disciplines. I have his card, I and hope to go back for a proper visit sometime in the future. Very impressive tech. and engineering.

Back
Top Bottom