1993 r100rt mono fork oil

Deleted account 220427001

Reaction score
Hello fellas put progressive springs on my r100rt 1993 mono used 20w fork oil abit to hard any recommendations on the oil side like it to float over then bumps as i might go to garmisch on the bike aka sheene p.s how much you use ???

Did the springs not come with oil?
I bought hyper pro progressive springs for my ST, and they came with some 10w oil.....seems to work fine

There are no air bleed screws on the forks, so action will be a little stiff initially, until you loose a little air.

I like 5 wt Synth Suspension fluid, 150/160 mm down, forks full compressed and springs out.

When I had recently had tires fitted forks felt stiff, fitter had tightened the pinch bolts before he had pumped the forks a few times to align the well worn forks, even pro's forget sometimes.

Hello fellas put progressive springs on my r100rt 1993 mono used 20w fork oil abit to hard any recommendations on the oil side like it to float over then bumps as i might go to garmisch on the bike aka sheene p.s how much you use ???

Twenty Weight ??? It will feel like a plank!

5W Max is probably tops

its 3W from factory

I made a mistake as my foreman at the dealership just said use 10W for everything The first R80RT I did afterwards with new springs was a total plank!

Changed down to 5W after flushing and it was pretty damn good with a new rear shock too

If you don't want to strip and clean, if you have any ATF run them a week or so with it in it to flush them, it is usually detergent and has seal conditioners.

Sheene, in a previous post I suggested a 160mm air gap, that is, with the springs out and the forks fully compressed you fill the tubes to within 160 mm of the top.
This will give a firmish, progressive action, 220 mm will be a bit softer and less progressive.
I have a cheap sump oil removal pump which speeds the process up!

was stripped and cleaned just put the wrong grade oil in gotta find out how much to use .

I don;t like doing the air gap method on BMs

R80RT from 1985, R100RS and RT from 1987 (1988?) 320ml 5W If you want "Sporty"?? Mix half and half 5W and 10 W to get 7.5W

Apologies I did not mean to be so curt

Long day in the driving seat yesterday and it's now day 8 of 10 in a row

Not offended at all mate - I love to learn summat - I thought it read 1993 RT = I missed the mono - I presumed they were all paras with similar front ends :D
Thanks for being a proper gentleman and caring = not may of us about at moment :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom