HELP 1200GS 2013 VS 1200GS onward

Rock10

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm told pre 2013 R1200gs engine is not as good as the 2015 onward bike and that the 2013 model is a short stroke and gives a lot of trouble?? compared to the 2015 onward long stroke engine.
is this true??

The bore and stroke did not change over the entire life of the R1200RT - even on the water-cooled models.

If you are thinking of buying then you need to ride the bikes to determine whether the water-cooled models are worth the extra dosh. The gearboxes were improved somewhat in late 2017 (?), but they're still not as smooth as a Honda gearbox.

The bore and stroke did not change over the entire life of the R1200RT - even on the water-cooled models.

If you are thinking of buying then you need to ride the bikes to determine whether the water-cooled models are worth the extra dosh. The gearboxes were improved somewhat in late 2017 (?), but they're still not as smooth as a Honda gearbox.
You can actually get an early LC for less than a late TC.
For me the LC engine is great but the ergonomics suck - maybe a rally would be okay.

Didn't they change the flywheel for the heavier GSA one after the first batch of LCs? Not sure what this does to power delivery and I doubt I'd notice. My early 2013 LC is fine for me.

Didn't they change the flywheel for the heavier GSA one after the first batch of LCs? Not sure what this does to power delivery and I doubt I'd notice. My early 2013 LC is fine for me.

The 2013/2014 model GS LC had the lighter flywheel. The 2015 onwards models had the same heavier flywheel as the GSA.

The engine on my 2014 model was changed under warranty due to flaky paint in 2016 and the difference was noticeable as the new engine didn't seem to rev quite as freely. The gearbox was a lot better though.

Back
Top Bottom