Advice please

tripleblack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase a k1100LT 1993 in mint condition and over serviced but what should I be looking for and who where would be the best place to get it serviced in the north west of England or north Wales

These bikes have a good reputation for reliability. I’ve had mine for about 3 years and have had very few problems. Apparently the original brake hoses break down with age so as I was having some trouble with the front brake I replaced the hoses with Goodridge. I’ve also had trouble with the tank connector under the right hand side panel. The side stand and clutch switches can be problematic. Usual things like checking that there’s free play in the clutch cable, rivets in the brake discs are not worn too badly, fork seals, rear shock etc.. Engines are very reliable, clutch and shaft splines need periodic maintenance. ABS1 is less reliable than the later ones but most problems are resolved by a reset.

My bike has more than 90k miles on it and we’re just back from a 1600mile trip down to Alicante without any serious issues (tank connector required a jiggle from time to time). Just as good as modern tourers IMO without the depreciation.

Check for leaks around the water/oil pump and also from the weep hole under the bell housing. Maybe also the breather pipe for holes.

Back
Top Bottom