Travel Insurance - for B & F

Deleted account 210815001

Reaction score
Any sensible advice and recommendations for travel insurance in/for Belgium and France would be appreciated.
Thanks.

European Travel insurance is, by and large, homogeneous. It is rarely as specific as to be limited to two countries, ie it is (more often than not) ‘Europe wide’. This does not materially affect the price, which is cheap

Look at the many threads where bods recommend their favourite insurer, which will range between:

A. Not buying any at all, as they have never needed it and it’s a rip-off which never pays and anyway they have their EU health card which covers everything *

B. The cover they got free with Cornflakes or their bank or credit card or building society

C. Stuff they got free from work. Note, some of them confuse Business Travel Insurance (also known as BTI) with Personal travel insurance; it’s not the same thing. But hey, they are happy

D. Those with underlying health conditions and those without

E. Those who ride bikes under 1500 cc and those who don’t

F. Those that don’t realise that insurers’ terms change and those that do. So, the slam dunk recommendation of the Post Office’s offering, now misses the basket by several feet

The above is not a fully comprehensive list of variables.

Moved to the insurance section.

* These are still valid, so if you don’t have one, get one. They are free from HMG’s NHS website. They DO NOT cover ‘everything’ by way of Travel insurance, so do not believe what you might read on these pages or might be told by your mate

European Travel insurance is, by and large, homogeneous. It is rarely as specific as to be limited to two countries, ie it is ‘Europe wide’

Look at the many threads where bods recommend their favourite insurer, which will range between:

A. Not buying any at all, as they have never needed it and it’s a rip-off which never pays

B. The cover they got free with Cornflakes or their bank or credit card or building society

C. Stuff they got free from work. Note, some of them confuse Business Travel insurance with Personal travel insurance; it’s not the same thing. But hey, they are happy

D. Those with underlying health conditions and those without

E. Those who ride bikes of under 1500 cc

F. Those that don’t realise that insurers’ terms change, so that the slam dunk recommendation of the Post Office’s offering, now misses the basket by several feet

Moved to the insurance section.
The last one screwed me over as I bought an annual policy and the bastards have changed the terms. I had been using them for years - they also covered Scuba diving to 30 metres, so expect that has been reduced to 18 inches by now.

Any sensible advice and recommendations for travel insurance in/for Belgium and France would be appreciated.
Thanks.

As ever, it's down to what risks you want to insure. Health? Ski theft? Holiday cancellation?

Will you be pursuing any activities that some might describe as hazardous?

The last one screwed me over as I bought an annual policy and the bastards have changed the terms. I had been using them for years - they also covered Scuba diving to 30 metres, so expect that has been reduced to 18 inches by now.

Changed their terms after you bought? Or did you renew for another year without checking the blurb they sent with the renewal invite?

More likely, as with my annual policy with Get Going, they have clarified the terms in relation to the current pandemic. Things such as they do not cover you if you are anxious about travel; they do not cover you if the airline or travel agent cancels your booking as that is the responsibility of the airline or travel agent and most crucially, you have no cover if you travel against FCO advice.

Let's not fill this thread with fake news!

A contract cannot be unilaterally varied by an insurance company (unless the terms allowed unilateral variations - unlikely).

What several travel insurance companies have said is that they will exclude cover for events caused by Covid19 for NEW CONTRACTS.

Let's not fill this thread with fake news!

A contract cannot be unilaterally varied by an insurance company (unless the terms allowed unilateral variations - unlikely).

What several travel insurance companies have said is that they will exclude cover for events caused by Covid19 for NEW CONTRACTS.

In one. A contract is only variable during its lifetime if both parties agree to the change. An insurer can no more announce that they are varying the terms mid-term, than you can announce to them that you have amended the terms to include sky diving without a parachute.

Think I may need to reread my Lloyds Platinum bank account Travel Insurance which has been 'on-going' (ie in a sense autorenewing) for about 20yrs!:eek:

Just one company's opinion (where the red has washed out under SAGA, HSBC and M&S it says 'Recommended Provider'):

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 08.03.29.jpeg
    Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 08.03.29.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 102

Back
Top Bottom