iPad sluggish

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The issue is just on my wife's iPad. As we will soon be going into lock-down then for the sake our sanity we will have to get this issue sorted. The problem is that sometimes when she goes on to a site/page/whatever the line at the top of the page moves to the right it often stops about a third of the way across and doesn't get any further and so she's left stranded and what she does is to reboot it or whatever it's called- sorry, I can't remember the terms, perhaps it's 'Power Down'- what she does is press the on/off switch and the round button on the side. She then slides the button on the screen to the off position and at that stage I think the Apple logo comes up. She then switches it back on and has to reenter the passcode, after which it seems to behave itself until the next time.

It's on iOS 12, if that's relevant, there is a later one available but it does look a little tricky as updating involves iTunes or something, I can certainly try that if that's the answer. I use my iPad and my laptop on the same router and they work fine.

Last edited:
It needs the update. Go to settings, there will be a red asterix indicating updater needed. It needs to be connected to wifi and connected to power. Select update and all will be well (I hope for your sanity)

How old is the iPad ? I ask because mine does just this, but it's an iPadII which makes it about 10 years old :nenau

It needs the update. Go to settings, there will be a red asterix indicating updater needed. It needs to be connected to wifi and connected to power. Select update and all will be well (I hope for your sanity)
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go now. Here goes ....

PS
Oblertone: I think she bought it Jan 2016, not certain. It's a Mini iPad.

Right, well that's fucked that...

I went on to the Apple"How to back up your iPad" page, that's the first thing to do apparently... Settings > iCloud[my name] > and tried to tap iCloud Backup but could only see iCloud Drive. Not sure if that was the same thing or even a suitable option. I pressed it anyway, what else could I do. It was "On" at the time and for some reason I switched it "Off", no idea why I did that, must have seemed a good idea at the time, but I assumed I could just switch it back on when necessary.

Whoops. To switch it back on I needed the password, I entered that (I had that in my little red book, savvy or what, eh?) I was then asked for a passcode to confirm my identity when signing in on a new device. Piece of piss- I had that in my little red book as well. Oh dear, it didn't work. It brought up a notice on the screen, it was in the form of simply the top half of the words "1 Failed Passcode Attempt" or at least that's what it could be. Why on earth it only shows the top half of the words I have no idea. If I'm right that that is indeed the message that's written then I suspect that the rest of the message will be to the effect that I have two further attempts to get it right before the sodding thing locks me out for ever more.

Any suggestions, please?

PS Just reminded myself that it (the Apple Support page) does give two options, the iCloud method and also by using my own computer. Not tried this latter one, it may well work, but I'm gutted at having put myself into a corner as regards the Password and Passcode issue.

If I try three incorrect Passcodes what will happen, will my iPad be disabled for one minute before allowing me to try again, then after a further three attempts disable for two minutes, then four, eight, sixteen etc etc?

As thing are I'm scared of trying anything in case it locks up permanently, so it would be good to know if it would be possible to grope my way forward however slowly.

The last update I did - corrected the sluggishness I was experiencing (5 months ago?)

Latest update appears to have made it intermittently sluggish, and not registering finger-prods.

Done the reset thing a few times

Reckon another update to fix this one will be coming out soon

I presume all running apps are closed? Nothing running in the background. Close them all.
Try a hard restart.
Check the battery health, too low and it could get throttled.

If I try three incorrect Passcodes what will happen, will my iPad be disabled for one minute before allowing me to try again, then after a further three attempts disable for two minutes, then four, eight, sixteen etc etc?

As thing are I'm scared of trying anything in case it locks up permanently, so it would be good to know if it would be possible to grope my way forward however slowly.

I don't use my iPad these days but I do have a Mac and an iPhone and several other Apple devices. I suspect you might have agreed to Apple's Two Factor Authentication. The passcode which you entered would be a one-off code. A new one should be sent to your phone or alternative e-mail address on each occasion.

Sorted. :)

I managed with your help plus the Apple help page plus a fair bit of trying everything because no instruction or suggestion exactly matched what I was getting up on the screen. I used the "Using your PC" method in the end rather than the "Using iCloud", it did work in the end but gave the impression of fighting all the way, which I found rather tiresome.* My wife is delighted at the transformation, and thanks you all, as I do.

*(Tiresome as in fucking annoying ;)).

Schtum Two factor authorisation: yes, it looks like I have that set up, I'll try to remove it I think.
chablis All closed.
Blackal All seems good now, infinitely better than before.
g00ner You got it in one!

As for the matter of having had the "1 Failed Passcode Attempt", does anyone know what the answer is to my question in Post 6 & 7?

And thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom