New Multi V4

Ducati (10/10) took the crown in this month's Bike mag, which was more tarmac focussed, with the GS and AT (both 9/10) acknowledged as having more adventure / off-road slant, respectively. Surprisingly, especially given the remit of a weekend tarmac bike, the 1290 Adv S sat bottom of the pile along with the Harley (both 8/10), the Adv S being considered a little too edgy for a sporty away weekend rather than a full-on day ride. Horse for courses etc.

Must get myself a test ride on the MS4 to confirm whether I missed a trick. I'm hoping that after the test ride the GS still feels like home, as I really don't want to get the check book open again.

Yep, horses for courses. The Africa Twin a better weekend tarmac bike? Ridiculous. Completely. The need to keep filling the Ducati would irritate me but I was looking forward to getting it delivered until the head issues arrived. Glad though because the 1290 just gets better and better, cost £6k less and I can't believe the Ducati is more of a bike, save the fact it's a V4 of course.

There aren't any bad bikes these days really. Pays yer money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, horses for courses. The Africa Twin a better weekend tarmac bike? Ridiculous. Completely. The need to keep filling the Ducati would irritate me but I was looking forward to getting it delivered until the head issues arrived. Glad though because the 1290 just gets better and better, cost £6k less and I can't believe the Ducati is more of a bike, save the fact it's a V4 of course.

We is all different,innit !
Why is it ridiculous that the ATAS comes second in the test ?
I know exactly what they mean-sold my 1290R as I preferred the ATAS that replaced it in nearly every way.
I guess they found it more ‘complete’ too.

The fuel issue is an issue for me as well , but let’s see how it goes .

Yep, horses for courses. The Africa Twin a better weekend tarmac bike? Ridiculous. Completely.

Yup, gotta say I found the premise and the results a little confusing. I mean, given the premise I would have thought the MS and the ADV S would both be up there. But that's bike reviews - simply bent around a reviewer's preference and the story woven to suit.

Talking of fuel range

The Streetfighter V4S manages about 80 miles until the light comes on ......

So far this has not been a problem

See your point but hope the V4 has around 120 at pace return as in Spain for example it can get tight with a 100 range , we found that out when we had a 750 Doro with us and carried a fuel pump and an extra few litres. Only ran out once due to a station being shut but on a tour its a worry , I can live with the 120 plus reserve as it works when abroad .
If your a long way round type , it is not the bike for you I feel with the information gathered on the net.

See your point but hope the V4 has around 120 at pace return as in Spain for example it can get tight with a 100 range , we found that out when we had a 750 Doro with us and carried a fuel pump and an extra few litres. Only ran out once due to a station being shut but on a tour its a worry , I can live with the 120 plus reserve as it works when abroad .
If your a long way round type , it is not the bike for you I feel with the information gathered on the net.

I think in continenatl Europe one is never more than 30 miles from a petrol station and certainly not in the UK

rare i go 100 miles without a stop for a fag anyway so for me not so much a problem but on big tours in far flung places i can see it would be a bother but i dont think Ducati have RTW tours in mind with this bike

Talking of fuel range

The Streetfighter V4S manages about 80 miles until the light comes on ......

So far this has not been a problem

Not surprised. My old Tuono got to about 100 before it needed juice. It's fine for a naked but an adv bike needs decent range.

We is all different,innit !
Why is it ridiculous that the ATAS comes second in the test ?
I know exactly what they mean-sold my 1290R as I preferred the ATAS that replaced it in nearly every way.
I guess they found it more ‘complete’ too.

Because the new S is very refined. Very. If you rode one for a couple of days you'd understand. Not saying the AT is a bad bike, but better road machine than the 21 1290? Rubbish that is.

I've put the wife on the back of a few bikes over the years and this new KTM trump's everything. The old 1290/GSA/RT/K1600 - you'd think this bike wouldn't outshine an RT wouldn't you? Not for me. Hot weather on an RT is torture. Very good in the wet weather of course

However, back to topic. Spend the extra and get the Multi. Looks good. Sounds good. Quality good. What's not to like?

I think in continenatl Europe one is never more than 30 miles from a petrol station and certainly not in the UK

rare i go 100 miles without a stop for a fag anyway so for me not so much a problem but on big tours in far flung places i can see it would be a bother but i dont think Ducati have RTW tours in mind with this bike

You can go 140 miles plus on the NC500 and not see a fuel stop.

Not in the mountains ...Spain is known for closed stations and around 100 miles between is normal so factor in the shut ones on a V4s your buggered , plus the fact your using more fuel as your climbing a lot.

Bollox , rode it yesterday for 160 miles . Only ordered one , pick it up next week.
All I can say is what a bike , awesome.

Forgot to say, happy new bike for when it arrives.

Cheers , sorry to see the Gs go as its been a great relationship , but this new V4 really does reward in perhaps places that the Gs does not , but I will miss the low down grunt and extra pillion space , but fitting the full system so hope it gets a bit more low down . Its a great engine and the sound is addictive and once at full chat its a giggle , well i could not stop chuckling and the chassis is perfect working brilliantly with the suspension (well done Ducati). The 1290s Ktm was very quick but it had no feeling at all and the chassis was awful. The Gs and the Multi V4 are the bikes at the top at the moment and I think if your after the more sport side the V4 has it , comfort and distance travel and low down grunt the Gs has it , just felt it was time for a change. It will be a tyre shredder mind ....

Really interesting to read all this.

Stick - do you reckon if you have a 1250GS for longer days and rides then a Streetfighter V4S when you want to let rip, that you would have the bestow both worlds? That is what I am hoping to sort this year!

Bollox , rode it yesterday for 160 miles . Only ordered one , pick it up next week.
All I can say is what a bike , awesome.

Congrats and well done, I was impressed with the V4S on the test ride too, I'd struggle with the concept of the poor (ish) fuel range and the price is a bit salty but there's not much out there to compete with the new Multi, I didn't think you'd do it, bellisima :okay

Back
Top Bottom