How do I make all my routes start and finish from 2 way points?

G&T

“OK sweet heart... just one last ride”
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been cleaning my Nav routes and as they were recorded in a track and then cleaned and a route created have end up with multiple start and finishes for each different route.

So for example in the picture I have Way points Pistyll Rhaeader (which is the start) and Pistyll Rhaeader 1. (Which is the Finish) And then for a different route Clee hill and Clee hill 1. Etc.

If I wanted to make Pistyll Rhaeader and Clee hill the same start point how can I edit those two points into a new created way point for each route that says ‘Start’ and another for ‘Finish’? If I don’t I’ll end up with a load of start and finish way points in the same place.

I kind of want to drag and drop the Pistyll Rhaeader waypoint onto a pre-created way
Point named ‘start’ and BC asks ‘would you like to convert waypoint from Pistyll Rhaeader to waypoint .‘Start’?

I know this is a dry subject, but I hate mess :D

Cheers
Glenn

Attachments

• 6CEDB895-D807-4500-AC5C-338EE01426E6.jpg
    6CEDB895-D807-4500-AC5C-338EE01426E6.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 198
I think you will find its not possible to have two names the same in the same data base, as you can see you have caderidris gates and caderidris gates 1, garmin has added a 1 to the end, i may be wrong with this so someone else may confirm, i believe its only possible if the names are in a seperate data base, ie you create seperate data bases.

I have wondered about that. With my routes in basecamp have ended up with some waypoints (usually home) going up to ‘Home12’ ! No help I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you will find its not possible to have two names the same in the same data base, as you can see you have caderidris gates and caderidris gates 1, garmin has added a 1 to the end, i may be wrong with this so someone else may confirm, i believe its only possible if the names are in a seperate data base, ie you create seperate data bases.

Aha, everyday is a school day. So if you create a route from scratch and drop a home way point in the prompt box it will actually give that a number as home1 for example so as not to confuse it with the ‘home’ waypoint you already have in the database.

Thanks all.
Glenn

Why are you creating multiple waypoints at the same place i.e. home?

Basecamp is a database based system so once you have created a waypoint i.e. home, you can copy and paste it into any route. Likewise if you have the same waypoint in two or more routes with some having numbers after the names to avoid having two waypoints with the same name just substitute the waypoint with the number for the one without a number and delete the numbered waypoint.

If Basecamp adds a number to a waypoint it's simply telling you that a waypoint with that name already exists, if you want to reuse that waypoint just do a search for the waypoint and copy and paste it to your current list folder and then use it in your route.

Why are you creating multiple waypoints at the same place i.e. home?

Basecamp is a database based system so once you have created a waypoint i.e. home, you can copy and paste it into any route. Likewise if you have the same waypoint in two or more routes with some having numbers after the names to avoid having two waypoints with the same name just substitute the waypoint with the number for the one without a number and delete the numbered waypoint.

If Basecamp adds a number to a waypoint it's simply telling you that a waypoint with that name already exists, if you want to reuse that waypoint just do a search for the waypoint and copy and paste it to your current list folder and then use it in your route.

I will play around with it this weekend. The only difference on this occasion is I’m downloading to BC a satnav track, editing and saving as a route. You know, getting rid of all of the dodgy straight lines etc :D

Lee’s post #7 is pot on, too.

Just take care, at least on a Mac, if and when you delete a point that is not a copy. It may - depending on how you delete it - remove it from the entire data base, rendering other routes that had the same point, useless.

Friday messin..

Ok, to avoid any confusion and get to the bottom of whether you can create multiple routes with the same start waypoint and the same finish waypoint you can.
In this example I created two waypoints:
1. Blackmill start
2. Blackmill finish

Then I created a new route and dropped the two waypoints in. So far so good.
Route called Blackmill short.

Then I edited that route and made a long version of it by simply using the insert point action. This I called Blackmill long.

So here we have two different routes using exactly the same waypoints
1. Blackmill start
2. Blackmill finish

Attachments

• 08A9EA76-6C4B-48E0-91BE-2846507977A3.jpg
    08A9EA76-6C4B-48E0-91BE-2846507977A3.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 847DB98E-3914-4132-9613-EF9DDDF6C69E.jpg
    847DB98E-3914-4132-9613-EF9DDDF6C69E.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 156
  • CA18DCD2-0041-4A18-9569-E8AD21897445.jpg
    CA18DCD2-0041-4A18-9569-E8AD21897445.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 179
Now remembering I want to make all my routes I already have start and end from the same waypoints (tracks saved from satnav and edited/cleaned up etc) I now need to see if I can edit the Blackmill short route - here goes.

So for the purpose of this example, I saved the Blackmill short route as a track and deleted the first waypoint
1. Blackmill start.

This was then saved as a route which BC called
Blackmill short route 1

Attachments

• 1F5480ED-F126-4AA7-920E-B559111BF571.jpg
    1F5480ED-F126-4AA7-920E-B559111BF571.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 173
  • 15057B76-A976-4B6B-82BA-ACE6236D8DAC.jpg
    15057B76-A976-4B6B-82BA-ACE6236D8DAC.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 175
  • DD38C32D-70D0-4021-8C2E-6BA633BAD3FC.jpg
    DD38C32D-70D0-4021-8C2E-6BA633BAD3FC.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 162
  • C2A13CF8-372E-4CDE-8279-2426D9229AF3.jpg
    C2A13CF8-372E-4CDE-8279-2426D9229AF3.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 182
Notice BC has renamed the start waypoint to
Blackmill short route 1

I expected that. But it has also renamed the finish waypoint which I did not move/change to
Blackmill short route 11

I do not see any way of renaming the finish waypoint back to Blackmill Finish as that is unique in the database or moving the start waypoint back to the original start and naming that Blackmill start.

So it seems the only way to use the same waypoints for multiple routes is to create NEW ROUTES from scratch. You cannot, it seems to me, edit routes and use the same waypoints in your database?

Any help? This comes back to my original post of trying to solve not having a gazillion different waypoints at the start and end of all my routes.

Thanks

Attachments

• 604AC29F-D3B8-4724-A1FD-F4710C59A462.jpg
    604AC29F-D3B8-4724-A1FD-F4710C59A462.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 186
as i said in my post above you could put each individual route into its own database and give each database a name based on the rote name so as easy to recall, tis the only way as i see it

I’ve met the same “feature” when building a Route from a Track.

You can choose to ignore the clutter and run the route.

Or edit the new route to substitute the Start and /or end points with your own choice of waypoint, e.g. Home, or any other pre-existing Point in your data set. Then delete the points spawned by Garmin as they’re redundant.

Or edit the new route to substitute the Start and /or end points with your own choice of waypoint, e.g. Home, or any other pre-existing Point in your data set. Then delete the points spawned by Garmin as they’re redundant.

How do I do that? I’ve tried, trust me...I’ve tried.

What is the definition of a database in Basecamp? How do I know I am using the same database or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok trying to keep it simple, imagine when you open basecamp for the very first time, it has no data in there (you have not created any yet) so you make a a few routes decide you like them and want to keep them, you would probably create a list and folder (call it whatever suits your routes) in the library section in the top left pane of the main window of basecamp to store said routes, now when you close basecamp and come back to it at a later date those same routes will be there because they have been saved in Garmins default database.
Now when you create a new database (Go to Edit > Options > General > Database Options) you can create a new blank database and give it a new name and specify a location on your pc/mac or i believe cloud storage as well (not tried that)to store the database, so once created and you select that database your previous default database will close and the new one will open and you will be presented with a new blank basecamp to start using, your old database is still there all you need to do to access it is to re select (Go to Edit > Options > General > Database Options) default database and basecamp will close and reopen back at your original database.
Hope this helps, this setup would apply to using basecamp on a pc, it may differ with mac.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I guess knowing the limitations of BC is all part of it.

All things considered, I think the easiest way is to create a new list and copy the track/route You want to change to it. (Easier to trace as that is the only ‘route’ in there) and then retrace it as a new route with a start and finish waypoint pulled from the list. Once all ok move that route into the main list and delete the temporary list.

That will mean you have the same start and finish waypoint in all your routes in one database.

Always the best way is to do it to suit yourself, when you have tried and exhausted the other alternatives and found them wanting.

Back
Top Bottom