How do I make all my routes start and finish from 2 way points?

How to use the same waypoints in several routes.

Basecamp has list folders and lists. Folders are collections of lists, and your data (routes, tracks, waypoints) are stored in lists. It's possible to store the same waypoint in different lists by using the copy function.

1) Find or create the waypoint that you use in more than one route. I have a list called "waypoints", and in this waypoints list there's a waypoint called "burdens home" - I start lots of routes from home.

2) If I want to start a new route to Wardy's House, I can create a new list folder called Route to Wardy's House, and in that create a list called Wardy's House Wardy's Fast Route

3) Back in my Waypoints list, I select Burdens Home and Wardy's House waypoints, right click, which brings up a menu. Select copy.

4) Go back to the list called Wardy's House fast Route, click in the box at the bottom, right click then paste.

pic uploader

5) Select both waypoints, right click and select create route from waypoints. The route is created and then you can mess about with it.

Repeat as many times as you like, call the way points Start and Finish if you want (but this will get confusing). Create as many routes as you want but each route will have to have a different name.

Things to bear in mind - although the waypoint Burdens now seems to exist in 2 places, it 's really the same waypoint with a shortcut to it. If you change it (name, position etc) it will change in all the places it's used.

I don't know if this is the answer to your question, but it might be useful

Cheers Berln. All info is useful - appreciate you spending the time with pics and text.

However in this case the challenge was adding a waypoint you have not to a ‘new route’ but to an existing route. Because then you could add your ‘always used’ start waypoint and delete the one that is in the existing route.

But as Wappers and Leedude has mentioned - is not possible without all manner of other trickery :D

P.S. anyone who has a Mongolia folder is worth listening too :thumby:

No problem, I wasn't 100% certain what you were seeking to achieve.
In your post above you mentioned, I think, retracing a route - you can use the duplicate function here, but the route will be renamed

I can’t think how to explain it further.

But as was alluded to above, if you had a clean sheet then just put ALL your waypoints in one folder. Then HOME is home. HOTEL1 is Hotel1. Etc, etc.

But most of us “need” multiple folders for obvious Trip reasons.

I have a folder with the Default UK data for 2 wheel travel.

And another folder with the Default UK data for 4 wheel travel.

There are mutually exclusive waypoints as you might imagine.

Plus a folder with waypoints common to both 2 and 4 wheel travel.

Then European trips require a bit more finessing.

But there is only one HOME.

It’s a game. But you have to learn to play it to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom