R1150GSA Handlebar Swap

Beancounter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped the handlebars on their 1150GSA? Mine are looking very tired and the cross bar gets in the way of my satnav and auxiliary light switches so am thinking of changing.

I swapped the bars on my Rockster but that was back in 2007 and I can't remember which aftermarket bars I used.

I want to retain the BMW heated grips which I'm sure cuts the choice down a lot.

Thanks.

Took me a long time to ditch the ridiculous GS bars for some off a proper motorbike...ie. a ktm :)

Attachments

• 20200212_164607.jpg
    20200212_164607.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 419
Gents

Excuse my ignorance here but what are the benefits? I've had two 1150's and now have an 1100. Agree the crossbar's a bit of a PITA but I've never considered there may be significant improvements to be had by changing the bars altogether... I'd be pleased to be enlightened however :thumb2

Took me a long time to ditch the ridiculous GS bars for some off a proper motorbike...ie. a ktm :)

The KTM bars look good. Have you switched from the BMW heated grips to aftermarket ones?

Gents

Excuse my ignorance here but what are the benefits? I've had two 1150's and now have an 1100. Agree the crossbar's a bit of a PITA but I've never considered there may be significant improvements to be had by changing the bars altogether... I'd be pleased to be enlightened however :thumb2

The cross bar is the main issue for me. I've no noticed a lack of comfort with the current bars though that was the point of swapping my earlier Rockster's bars.

AFAIK, the main thing to be aware of is that if you have BMW heated grips you need BMW bars (or aftermarket BMW-esque bars - Renthals won't do) because the wiring for the BMW heated grips comes in at the bar end, not the thumb/forefinger, so the diameter of BMW bars tapers towards the bar ends:

superbike-handlebar-heatgrips-bmw

Gents

The 1150R bars are flatter and don’t have so much of a “kickback” at the ends so your wrists are at a more natural angle.

The 1150R bars are flatter and don’t have so much of a “kickback” at the ends so your wrists are at a more natural angle.

"Ricky bars" used to be all the rage.

The OE bars are a really stupid shape for any normal or Tosser sized human being, thy put your wrists into a really uncomfortable position.

I did a few posts on here years ago about a home made alternative and retaining the OE heated grips using Renthal FatBars - which are basically the same as the KTM bars. Thread is here but photos are long gone.

Nin

Thanks Gents for the info. Interesting. I shall investigate this idea. My bars are corroded so need to at least paint them.. probably easier just to change them!! Are the 1150R ones a straight swap with existing clamps?

Gents

The initial thing I noticed was now it feels like a motorbike instead of a GS which for me is a good thing, mine are narrower as I don't bother with the bar weights and again for me much more comfortable.

I’ve been a complete nugget. Just realised that I haven’t used the heated grips this year because I’ve been using heated gloves. I also have a pair of heated grips lurking around at my mate’s place. :blast

Thanks Gents for the info. Interesting. I shall investigate this idea. My bars are corroded so need to at least paint them.. probably easier just to change them!! Are the 1150R ones a straight swap with existing clamps?

Straight swop, the handguards do fit with a bit of persuasion :D.

Timolgra, what hand guards have you fitted?

Just the standard KTM plastic guards which I had. They're quite versatile and can be made to fit many bikes.

Attachments

• 20200212_164529-01.jpg
    20200212_164529-01.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 344
Just the standard KTM plastic guards which I had. They're quite versatile and can be made to fit many bikes.

Timolgra - hope you don't mind me asking, but do you find wind gets under your tank bra? It gets under mine at speed causing comedy ballooning - note gaffa on offending leading edge...

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 252
Timolgra - hope you don't mind me asking, but do you find wind gets under your tank bra? It gets under mine at speed causing comedy ballooning - note gaffa on offending leading edge...
It really depends where you fix the forward straps. Mine's ok.

Thanks. :)

I've ordered a set of Pro Taper Contour bars and some Roxspeed bar risers, I've a similar setup on my Caponord which is more comfortable.

Apologies to OP for off-topic post...

No apology necessary. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom